used 1971 cal, need info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2013
cal 27 chesapeake
hi folks. I just bought a 1971 cal 27, off of the lean dock, for $300. it needs a little work, but it's sound. I can't find a lot of info about it on line. everything I find is for the 2-27. I have a bunch of questions about the boat, if someone has the time.

the first question is did these come with a marine head or a portable head?
there is a tank under the cockpit sole. i'm thinking it is for a head, but i'm not sure. for all I know, it could be for fresh water but I don't think it is. there isn't any head in the boat, right now.

I just bought it and haven't had time to explore every bit of it so, hopefully you'll forgive me if any of my questions are dumb.

anyhow, another question I have is about the crank handle on the starboard cockpit bench, right behind the cabin. I am thinking it might be for a manual bilge pump but I can't test it to find out because the bilge is bone dry.

the boat is missing the actual sliding door that closes off the V berth. I will have to make a new one. however, the rest of the wood work is really good. unfortunately, the cushions are all missing. not a big issue. I can sew. there are a few access panels I will have to make because they are missing.

I have a question about the V berth, however, is there a roof panel over it or is the deck the roof? I guess that's it, for now. I am sure I will have more as I go.

any interior pictures that anyone can post, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time.

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
In the same boat just bought same year boat and trying to find parts and have questions also. Have spent way to much time on the internet looking for info.

Nov 12, 2013
cal 27 chesapeake
hey. hello and well met. it IS hard to find any info but replying to my post may be what the dr ordered. I found a guy who owns one and is very helpful, on another blog. there are a few people trying to help me, on that thread. I am captain jack, on there. that name was taken, here. kind of like popeye better. lol/ anyhow, check it out. I am sure they'd be glad to assist you, as well.

parts, i'm not so sure about, though. i'd like to find both the original front and rear hatches.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-owners-1970-through-73-cal-27s-new-post.html

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
For CAL 27 info, (AKA CAL 27 Pop-Top) there are several owners of that vintage CAL 27 on the YAHOO CAL Group. There are even a few CAL 21 owners (and, like me... former owners!).

cal_boats@yahoogroups.com

I have attached a few pictures that I've collected of CAL 27s to at least give more clues about the overhead in the V-Berth. I have more showing verious angles of the inside from several CAL 27s if you need more.

PCALVIN1966, I'll post those CAL 21 pics in a new thread (Private Messages don't seem to allow attachements) see: CAL 21 info. above.

Attachments

Nov 12, 2013
cal 27 chesapeake
wow. those are nice photos. thanks. any interior images you may have will be a big help. that's where most of my work needs done.

Nov 12, 2013
cal 27 chesapeake
if you happen to have pics of the companionway hatch, specifically the hinge side, that would be great. also, any pics of the way the main sheet was run, originally. thanks.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
If you look up the "Boat Info" tab above, there is a CAL 27 sales brochure that an owner scanned and I had posted under "CAL 27". There are some good pics there.
I seem to recall that the main hatch on the 27 was hinged (your inquiry backs that up?) and it I recall, CAL used basically the same hardware for the hinges on hte 27 hatch as on the CAL 21 main hatch (and many of the forward hatches of various CAL models in the late 1960s to mid-1970s). I'll see what I've got for pics.
Also, I discovered that someone has posted a "cabin tour" on You-Tube showing the inside of a CAL 27 (pop-top).

Attachments

Nov 12, 2013
cal 27 chesapeake
cool. thanks. I believe I have down loaded a copy of that brochure. the interior pic is a drawing, right? I will have to double check. yeah. I do have a copy of that one. on my cal, the companionway door hatch was remade by the owner. I believe, since the way he did it will not allow it to lay flat when open, that he reversed the hinges but I am not sure. also, my boom is missing any blocks except for the outhaul tackle. I am not quite sure how the main sheet was exactly routed. I have a suspicion that the block was attached to this little tab of flat stock ( thin steel 'bar' ) at the end of the boom. if so, I will definitely change the point of attachment when I install a new block. that looks flimsy to me. anyhow, if you have any pics of the way the mainsheet is run on the inboard model ( the outboard has the traveler near the companionway door ) that would be great, too. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.