Use of Topping Lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mitchel

Can someone please explain the uses for the Topping Lift. When is it adjusted etc.

T

TOM MANALILI

hOLDING THE BOOM END UP

a TOPPING LIFT KEEPS THE BOOM FROM SLAMING DOWN INTO THE COCKPIT, #1 WHEN YOU'RE REEFING, #2 WHEN YOU'RE RAISING OR LOWERING THE MAINSAIL, #3 ADJUST THE BOOM ENT HEIGHT, SO IT DON'T SMASH YOUR HEAD IN ON AN ACCIDENTAL JIBE, #4 KEEPING THE BOOM HIGHER THAT THE BIMINI, ON OLDER BOATS, WITH SHORTER, RIGS AND LONGER BOOMS, A MAST/BOOM GALLOW WAS PROVIDED, TO POSITION AND SECURE THE BOOM WHEN MAIN WAS NOTFULLY EXTENDED.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Can use a rigid vang too!

Mitchel: When your sail is setting on the boom there is nothing to hold the boom up unless you either have a topping lift to hold it from the top, or a rigid vang to hold it up from the bottom. When you main sail is deployed the topping lift is doing nothing except getting in the way of your main sail. the sail is holding the boom. The rigid vang on the other hand is used to control the sail shape (usually when you are sailing on a down wind position) you can flatten the sail. If you look at some of the older boats like some of the Ericsons they did not use a topping lift. They had a pendant hanging off the backstay to hook the boom to when you took your main down.

L

Lee Urbani

Sail shape

In the absence of a ridge vang (like most of our vessels) the topping lift is used in conjunction with the vang, under sail, to control main sail shape. The vang is the boom "down haul" and the topping lift is used as the boom "up haul". In light air when you need to have more power/lift by using a fuller sail shape, you release the vang and haul in on the topping lift until the tell tails on the leach of the sail are flowing correctly. When the wind increases you release the topping lift (assuming you sail is set) and haul in on the vang to flatten the sail or de-power the main sail until the vessel is in control and not healing excessively. Once you have gained the correct sail shape, it is a good idea to hand tighten either the vang or topping lift just enough so as not to effect sail shape, but so you do not foul their lines. When used in concert with the main sheet and traveler system you will achieve maximum control and hence vessel speed for the conditions. Oh yes, it can also keep the boom off the deck and your head.

D

Don Alexander

Topping lift - alternatives

In addition to all that has already been said by others, don't forget that, if your main halyard breaks the topping lift will double for a while. Also you will need it to get to the top of the mast to reeve a new halyard. Regards

P

Patti Polk

Not too tight!

I've seen some cruisers with the topping lift too tight and they wonder why they can't go to weather without heeling over! They never realized it was affecting their mainsail shape.

D

Derek Rowell

Another use for the topping lift

Despite what has been said already, the REAL purpose of a topping lift is to get caught behind the spreaders when going downwind and act as a gybe preventer when gybing in strong winds. It just adds to the excitement and thrill of sailing, especially in confined areas with an inexperienced crew. Derek

W

Wayne Fredrick

More Topping Lift info

Mitchel, a lot of great feedback has been given on topping lifts. One very important bit of feedback pertained to the use of the topping lift as an extra halyard to go up the mast. A bit of caution on this. Don't know what type of boat you have, but if it is a Hunter with the B & R rig and a rigid boom vang, you can do away with the topping lift at the end of the boom so you do not have to deal with some of the frustrations expressed by others. If you do decide to use the topping lift as a spare halyard, which I do often and do use it to go up the mast since I have in-mast furling, make sure you upgrade the size of line. Most topping lifts are smaller diameter line and are not at all suitable for use with a chair to go up the mast.

B

Bruce Grant

Derek, that's why the B+R rig is so good!

With the swept back spreaders, the topping lift doesn't get caught in the spreaders on the later Hunters. This is really the reason I upgraded to the 320 from the 28 :) Regards. Bruce. Neon Moon

B

Barrie McDonald

Ericson Pedant

Steve Dion, You brought many happy memories of my Ericson 29 with your topping lift comments. My Ericson 29, a very fine boat indeed had the pendant hanging from the backstay to keep the boom high and free of the cockpit.. I wish I had the same on my current boat a Hunter Legend 37. Thanks for the memories, Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.