Use of bimini

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First, I have not heard back from the owner as to the manufacturer of the bimini but i suspect the boat has the 6 foot long bimini manufactured by Ameriseam. I also understand that when the mainsail is hoisted, the boom clears the bimini.
First, I introduced Ameriseam to Hunter and was present when the bimini patterns were being done to the water ballast boats. First the attachment of the mainsheet was on the cockpit floor in front of the wheel steering.. Two size biminis were designed one four foot long and the other 6 foot long. The six foot bimini required to move the attachment of the mainsheet attachment on the boom forward if I recall about 14-16 inches. B&R folks did not see this to be any problem with the loading of the boom and I installed many that way. It sounds like the boom kicker needs to be readjusted higher to the point the boom clears the bimini when motoring. i was able to set a positon where the mainsail was fully deployed without the boom hitting the bimini. The last year built was 2006 for the 260 as I hauled the last one out of the factory. I wonder also if the main is worn to the point it needs replacing.
When adding a traveler, never install from seat to seat as it is a knee or shin bone injury waiting to happen. I confered with the fellows from B&R rig and Hunter owner Warren Luhrs when I was asked to install the first traveler to a 26 and later the 260. The ideal position is the area of the seating just in front of the companionway. Over the companionway met with resistance due to safety issues but the last was overloading the boom in the rear. I want you all to think about that one as we were all concerned about placing a traveler over the companionway.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
First, I have not heard back from the owner as to the manufacturer of the bimini but i suspect the boat has the 6 foot long bimini manufactured by Ameriseam. I also understand that when the mainsail is hoisted, the boom clears the bimini.
First, I introduced Ameriseam to Hunter and was present when the bimini patterns were being done to the water ballast boats. First the attachment of the mainsheet was on the cockpit floor in front of the wheel steering.. Two size biminis were designed one four foot long and the other 6 foot long. The six foot bimini required to move the attachment of the mainsheet attachment on the boom forward if I recall about 14-16 inches. B&R folks did not see this to be any problem with the loading of the boom and I installed many that way. It sounds like the boom kicker needs to be readjusted higher to the point the boom clears the bimini when motoring. i was able to set a positon where the mainsail was fully deployed without the boom hitting the bimini. The last year built was 2006 for the 260 as I hauled the last one out of the factory. I wonder also if the main is worn to the point it needs replacing.
When adding a traveler, never install from seat to seat as it is a knee or shin bone injury waiting to happen. I confered with the fellows from B&R rig and Hunter owner Warren Luhrs when I was asked to install the first traveler to a 26 and later the 260. The ideal position is the area of the seating just in front of the companionway. Over the companionway met with resistance due to safety issues but the last was overloading the boom in the rear. I want you all to think about that one as we were all concerned about placing a traveler over the companionway.
Dave,
My boat is in a slip over an hour away so I only get out here about once a week, thanks for your p. Yes the bimini is a 6' model from Ameriseam. After your suggestion, I checked on the boomkicker and it is attached at the very bottom of the mast. In fact, the screes might have loosened and it is just sitting there in the lowest position. I will attempt to raise it up, then raise the main to make sure it is not too high. In regards to the traveller, I would not own a sailboat with main tackle in the cockpit so it was a major selling feature of this boat. It's possible that a crazy gust might come along and rip it out of the cabin roof, but aside from that, I see it as a safety feature.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Warren Luhrs who owned hunter and the designers of the B&R expressed their concern whom I trusted their knowledge and experience

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Looking at the pic, it would appear that the boom is running down hill from the gooseneck. Is there no topping lift? If not, why not add a topping lift ?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@sailme88
The original boat came with a topping lift which was my suggestion. Apparently a boom kicker was added thus the need for the Hunter supplied topping lift is not needed. I asked the question with the mainsail up did the boom clear and the response is yes. Thus the issue laid with the boom kicker. I do not tell how much I was involved even though being a dealer with bull fiddlesticks degree in history.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
@sailme88
The original boat came with a topping lift which was my suggestion. Apparently a boom kicker was added thus the need for the Hunter supplied topping lift is not needed. I asked the question with the mainsail up did the boom clear and the response is yes. Thus the issue laid with the boom kicker. I do not tell how much I was involved even though being a dealer with bull fiddlesticks degree in history.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I have a topping lift, which was very useful yesterday when working with the boomkicker - but I don't sail with the topping lift attached. Dave was right (as usual), the boomkicker is the issue, it is simply too low. I should have seen this before, as the boom was not horizontal (as someone pointed out) but it was that way when I bought the boat it didn't appear abnormal to me. I'll need to do some fine adjustments and then it will be golden. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I think this pic shows it pretty well.
Looks like the boom is resting on the bimini, is that correct? I sail with my bimini up on my H26, no problem. The sail holds it up high enough while sailing and when on the hook or dock, the boom is held up by the topping lift. I don't see a topping lift in your picture. Also, looks like you could slide the attachment brackets on the stern seats aft 4 inches or so, which may help.

Last edited: