Use of bimini

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
H26 - Is the bimini designed for dock and motor use only? Mine is about the same height as the boom so it doesn't seem feasible to sail with it deployed.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why don't you post a picture of your set up? Most folks rig their biminis so they can be used while sailing. I think it is unlikely that a rational boat owner would install a bimini that couldn't. If you think yours is limiting your boat's sailing function, perhaps a few alterations could be made to change that. But.... unless we can see what you have, no real help is possible.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You might be able to shorten that forward bow, adjust the horizontal rods and lower the front of the bimini. Have to be sure it will still retract. Or can it retract? Those horizontal tubes make it look like it can't. I'd remove them and find another way to stabilize the front. Straps maybe. That's what I use

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You might be able to shorten that forward bow, adjust the horizontal rods and lower the front of the bimini. Have to be sure it will still retract. Or can it retract? Those horizontal tubes make it look like it can't. I'd remove them and find another way to stabilize the front. Straps maybe. That's what I use
I placed the side bars to allow me to do away with the forward braces. Makes me wish I had brought the top over to secure to the side bars.
"I have a boomkicker which supports the boom."
I took out the solid vang, replaced it with rope. Added a topping lift to keep the boom above the bimini bow. Yeah, I can move the bow aft to lower the boom if needed, but very seldom need it below horizontal.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I wouldn't like that.
I've only taken my bimini down to clean/service it. Oh, and once my guests ask me to take it down because they were cold and wanted some sun.
I wouldn't have a boat with out one that I could use at sail. I really love my bimini, as if you could tell.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
The horizontal bar has a removable pin on each side and then it all hinges to the rear and I have a cover that zips over it. So it is very convenient to deploy and stow it is just in the way of the boom.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
captain ran,
Looks like the frame is attached to your stern rails. Looks like you should be able to loosen the frame attachment fittings and slide the entire unit back enough to clear the boom. You may have to adjust the aft support straps. You should be able to use the Bimini and sail at the same time.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look at the back of the Bimini and there should be a tag as to manufacture. Can you tell who it is first. Aluminum or stainless steel bows? Can you raise the mainsail all the way up and take another photo? You may have to release the boom kicker

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Look at the back of the Bimini and there should be a tag as to manufacture. Can you tell who it is first. Aluminum or stainless steel bows? Can you raise the mainsail all the way up and take another photo? You may have to release the boom kicker
It is stainless. I worked on it for a couple of hours today. I adjusted arms until the front of the bimini was below the boom but then the bimini wouldn't stow properly with that configuration. I am pretty sure that whoever designed and installed it did not intend for it to be used while under sail. The only way I see to fix it is to shorten the forward most bow. I will take pictures, as you suggest Dave, when I go out next weekend. Thanks everyone, for your help.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
So far the only thing I dont like about our H26 is that you cannot have a bimini up while sailing. The boom is so low

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A simple remedy for bimini days is too add a cringle at the back of the sail so you can gather up some of the foot to raise the boom

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So mine is close on the 310 too when the sail is down and stowed, but once I raise the main the boom stays several inches above. You might just experiment dock side on a no wind day too and adjust the bimini angle. The boom kicker also helps keep it up.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
We kept our Bimini shifted aft and tightened up the topping lift to keep the boom off the front bow. Once the sail was hoisted, it would lift the boom up to clear the bimini. Our biggest issue was the mainsheet attachment to the boom was too far aft. We moved the boom padeye forward enough to clear the bimini.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
We slid our bimini mount as far aft as we could to clear the mainsheet and then have to raise the boom with the top lift a little in order to sail with the bimini deployed. Less than optimal sail shape but it's shady.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
We kept our Bimini shifted aft and tightened up the topping lift to keep the boom off the front bow. Once the sail was hoisted, it would lift the boom up to clear the bimini. Our biggest issue was the mainsheet attachment to the boom was too far aft. We moved the boom padeye forward enough to clear the bimini.
I was fortunate that the previous owner installed a traveller over the cabin so no problem with that.