USA iPadAir with Navionics didn't work in Europe

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Lake Travis
Hello all,

For a short charter trip, flew to Europe from USA. I have Navionics on 2021 iPadAir but the GPS did not work in Europe. Good thing I could download the Navionics "trial" on the iPhone on the spot and used it instead. Strangely enough, I Phone GPS actually worked but iPad didn't. Both are USA devices.

Any advice on why this may have happened and what to do about it going forward?

I can't return the ipad and Navionics subscription is unique to the device

Thanks in advance for your insights

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No idea. Is it a proprietary system? Apple products are known to use WiFi as a tool to locate the unit. Are there settings on the iPad that limit the GPS satellites being used? Did you check with Navionics as to why the confusion?

Apr 16, 2020
This iPadAir has GPS, doesn't need wifi for loaction. I have gone through each setting on the ipad and navionics app. It is not Navionics related. For some reason GPS receiver on the ipad did not work in Europe. Nothing proprietary about an iPad with gps to my knowledge

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
iPad Location
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
  • GPS/GNSS
  • Cellular
Examining the Apple Support site I found this.
LotusPilot
User level:Level 10
239,819 points
Dec 31, 2021 4:01 AM in response to AliceClancy
For marine and aviation applications, use of a dedicated GPS receiver is often recommended. While WiFi+Cellular models of iPad incorporate a GNSS receiver within the Cellular chipset - providing accurate position and velocity measurement for a moving iPad - we see occasional complaint similar to your own. Consider that while some users experience difficulties, there are possibly considerably more that experience trouble-free operation; it follows that there will always be some variation in antenna location and individual application.

Occasional signal loss can be caused by many contributory factors. Boat construction (wood or composite - some composites, such as carbon fibre - can block signals), deck fittings (signal blocking - or multipath interference) and other electrical/radio devices (signal interference) combined with sub-optimal GNSS antenna location can all combine to cause loss of signal lock. Even a film of water on a surface that covers/shades the iPad can block GNSS signals.

For critical and below-deck marine applications, you would be best advised to consider use of an external GNSS receiver or repeater - as this allows the GNSS antenna/receiver to be placed in a better location. There are many from which to choose - wired or wireless (Bluetooth) are available; BadElf have good reputation.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What model iPad and what version of iOS? This article suggests European Galileo support wasn’t added to iOS devices until a few years ago. I think “regular” GPS should still work but maybe you were in an area where the GPS signal was too flakey, especially without cell signal to help bootstrap the location process. US iPhones and iPads might soon access EU's Galileo satellite navigation system thanks to FCC order

I think it’s also possible to share Navionics subscriptions across multiple devices. Not sure whether that sync’s off of Navionics accounts or iCloud accounts. But it might be worth setting that up so you’re ready if you need it in the future.

Apr 16, 2020
That should not be a problem... This iPadAir is 4th gen, model nyfq2ll/a, running sw version 15.4.1 Even if European Galileo wasn't added, it should have worked. Back up iPhone was older than the iPad and it worked.

No GPS signal issues at all... Eastern Aegean open spaces.

I checked with Navionics. You can not have multiple devices.