US Spar furler drum removal

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
I have an in-mast furler drum from US Spar. I'm trying to remove it. Has anyone out there done this? I've removed all the nuts and bolts except one, which is below the level of the access port. Here's some pix of the drum and the one bolt. Suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
First, make sure you take the sail down. When you remove the furling unit, the furling pole may drop and the slide at the head of the sail may slide off (big BIG trouble). There is supposed to be a cap on top of the pole to prevent this but the caps age and crack off over time. The actual furling unit pries out from the bottom. It looks like the bolt in your second pic also needs to be removed

richk

Jan 24, 2007
First, make sure you take the sail down. When you remove the furling unit, the furling pole may drop and the slide at the head of the sail may slide off (big BIG trouble). There is supposed to be a cap on top of the pole to prevent this but the caps age and crack off over time. The actual furling unit pries out from the bottom. It looks like the bolt in your second pic also needs to be removed
Thanks, I'm a the stage where I need to remove the bolt in the second picture. How do I do that?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Tie off the furling pole / extrusion after removing sail, so it doesn’t drop down. By tying it off, youre also reducing the weight from the top of the furling drum. Disconnect all bolts attaching from the pole by way of the access ports in the mast. Finally remove the bolts securing the furling drum to the mast & pry the furler from the mast. There are small threaded backing plates inside the mast that the furler bolts into. Once the cap bolts that secure the furler to the mast are removed, tie off the backing plates with wire or string before you attempt to pry the furler from the mast. If the backing plates fall off inside the mast, not good.....don’t ask how I know that! To remove that last bolt, you need to raise or lower the extrusion to the level of the access port to allow a socket wrench to be used to remove the bolt.

Last edited:

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Thanks, Big Easy.
Thanks also RitSim - My setup has a bolt through the dark gray collar you show, below the access holes. Haven't been able to raise the foil/furler unit up for direct access to that bolt. It's a problem.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
If it's a hex head bolt, go to Harbor or freight and buy a cheap set of wrenches. Heat and bend the box end to fit. Use a box end ratchet style wrench on the nut.

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
Go to ZSpars website and download their instructions for removing / servicing the furling drum and replacing the furling line. If I recall correctly, you’re not supposed to remove that bolt. The drum lifts up and then out. Be careful that the fuller doesn’t drop by tying it off through the access holes. Again, the instructions are clear and are your exact setup. I’ve removed this once myself, but my mast was down. IM me if you can’t find the instructions. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I seem to remember leaving the sail on and using the halyard to lift the whole works once I removed the bolt.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
That works only if the pole end cap is in place and secure. Without the cap, there is nothing to stop the pole from dropping and the upper slide coming off the top of the pole.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
MY Marlow Hunter 37 also had a setscrew on each side holding the sheave plates tight to the mast. The refurbished drum assembly from US Spars had to be drilled and tapped for the screws.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Download the manual or call them..... very helpful.

Good luck

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Well, it's been a little less than two months since I installed a new drum and it works great. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I also wrote a manual with pictures for those who want to know how to do this; just pm me for a free copy.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Would this be easier with the mast stepped? Just a question for the future :banghead:

richk

Jan 24, 2007
In my case the mast was stepped. It may have been easier if it were unstepped and horizontal. I wouldn't have had to hoist the internal foil to keep it from falling.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
According to US Spars, the furling line needs to be replaced every 3 years and they recommend refurbishing the drum every 3 years as well. They actually offer an exchange program. It's a job you'll do again.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Thanks Juice6576. I took advantage of their exchange program when I replaced my old drum.