US Sailing Vid

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Nice video, 5 minutes, from US Sailing. Sure, its a little geared towards racing but, getting the kids involved young, seeing some of theses kids passion for the sport at a young age is what is really great. Though, there is the one kid that thinks 40 is old....

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i don't think "its you against mother nature" at all. my thoughts on sailing are way different than that guy. it's about playing with mother nature to get this fun ride.
...... but that's just me

Jun 29, 2010
i don't think "its you against mother nature" at all. my thoughts on sailing are way different than that guy. it's about playing with mother nature to get this fun ride.
...... but that's just me
That was one person in a five minute video. What about the rest? Or are you just a half empty kind of guy?

May 25, 2012
no no no no, the rest of the video is great, positive, energy.

May 25, 2012
like the first speaker, was from a large family with a boat (alden US one design) very similar to his fathers. i love sailing. am a US sailing certified instructor. have taught at local sailing school. been sailing for 60 years. the only job i have ever had was that of a professional sailor.
that promo video is fine, except for that one guy from the charter company. prolly a salesman and not a sailorman. :)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Some of that video is from Cherry Creek res in Denver (used to be my primary sailing lake). I still have a vivid memory from near 10 years ago sailing a C15 at that lake and just getting hammered by a monster front and a wild capsize. It was some pretty intense survival for getting back in the boat and going again. I was pretty proud of my later 50's YO self. When I got going again, pretty much every small sailboat had capsized and there were a bunch of 12 to 15 YO kids in Prams doing pretty much the same thing. Just dealt with it and got going again. I sure was impressed by those kids..

May 25, 2012
sailing intructor mantra, "when in doubt, shove em out"
i'm sure that dark cloud ain't coming this way

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I enjoyed the video very much. The point made that once your turn off the engine hit home. But really for me is once I am well out of earshot of the California freeway noise, then there is nothing like the sound of the wind in the sails, the lapping of the water against the hull, the sound of the wake as it leaves your stern. Nothing like it anywhere.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Great video; thanks for sharing it. Great to see the work to get kids engaged. Hopefully that translates to a sustainable future for the sport.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
sailing intructor mantra, "when in doubt, shove em out"
That what the pilgrims did to the horses when caught in the doldrums?

Good to see the ladies representing a good part of sailing's future.

Thanks for the post cb.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 29, 2010
That's a good video. I can relate to the guy that says " as soon as you turn the engine off..." that is a great feeling.
Here is a video produced by the youth race team coach at my club of the Optimist Canadian Championship last year.
That was awesome, well done!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
USSA did a good job with that video. Makes me miss having that childhood experience. I have to tie that vid in with what I'm seeing here in Martin County FL with what's going on at USSC Martin County. They run an incredible program for kids and some adults. For instance this weekend they'll host C420 Midwinter's and are expecting nearly 100 entrants - no one over 22 years old. There will ten races on a trapezoid course with inner and outer courses and several fleets, qualifying rounds and medal rounds. It's to me very complicated and takes a fleet of RC boats and 6 or so RIB's to do it. I'll be a volunteer as will 30 + others on and off the water. My point is that to provide this activity to youths it takes a dedicated staff of adults, infrastructure, an armada of support boats and community support. That all exists here.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's a good video. I can relate to the guy that says " as soon as you turn the engine off..." that is a great feeling.
Here is a video produced by the youth race team coach at my club of the Optimist Canadian Championship last year.
Wow! Both excellent video's!

So true the guys comment, "as soon as you turn the engine off". Yet sailing media as a rule rarely mentions sailing for the sheer joy of sailing. Engines and related subjects outnumber sailing 100 to 1 on forums and inside most sailing magazines, many of which died or shriveled.

The joy of sailing is easiest to see in kids but as those vids show, some adults are in sailing for the sheer joy of wind power on the water.

Dinghy sailing Cutty.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I'll be a volunteer as will 30 + others on and off the water. My point is that to provide this activity to youths it takes a dedicated staff of adults, infrastructure, an armada of support boats and community support. That all exists here.
I applaud your volunteer efforts. It’s great that there are 30+ adults willing to step up with their time and money to make it work, paying it forward!

My personal experience is that our local sports are starting to suffer from volunteer burnout. Leagues and organizations need the volunteers to make it work but the mandated screening, training, backlash from overzealous parents etc. cause potential volunteers to shy away. That leaves people who volunteer for one activity finding themselves the volunteer for the other activities.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I applaud your volunteer efforts. It’s great that there are 30+ adults willing to step up with their time and money to make it work, paying it forward!

My personal experience is that our local sports are starting to suffer from volunteer burnout. Leagues and organizations need the volunteers to make it work but the mandated screening, training, backlash from overzealous parents etc. cause potential volunteers to shy away. That leaves people who volunteer for one activity finding themselves the volunteer for the other activities.
Volunteering seems to be alive and well at my club. We have an annual youth regatta as well as hosting the Opti Canadians last year. We had monthly planning meetings with about 8 people for close to a year before the event and a very good turnout of volunteers at the event. I was on the start pin boat so I had a great view of the action :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Volunteering seems to be alive and well at my club. We have an annual youth regatta as well as hosting the Opti Canadians last year. We had monthly planning meetings with about 8 people for close to a year before the event and a very good turnout of volunteers at the event. I was on the start pin boat so I had a great view of the action :)
Perhaps just my experience. I found myself coaching a lot of the sports teams my kids were on. Now parenting my grandson and I’m out on the ice at hockey practice helping out as the “coach” is a bit overwhelmed by having to coach both of his kids in different age divisions. Lots of parents dropping their kids off, going to Tim’s and returning just in time to pick them up, same deal with soccer. Hmmm

Maybe I should buy my grandson an Opti!!