US Coast Guard Documentation turnaround time

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Once documented, the renewals are very easy and quick. Login to the website, fill out a form, give em a credit card number and a week later the certificate shows up in the mail. Beginning next year, it gets even easier, do this once every 5 years. And we don't have any ugly registration numbers on our bows. ;)
But you get that annoying 3rd party group every year trying to scam you out 50%

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
But you get that annoying 3rd party group every year trying to scam you out 50%
Nope, I haven't gotten one of those in years. A few years back when these scams first hit the CG realized the public database was being mined for names and addresses. The CG responded by blocking personally identifiable information from public access.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Once documented, the renewals are very easy and quick. Login to the website, fill out a form, give em a credit card number and a week later the certificate shows up in the mail. Beginning next year, it gets even easier, do this once every 5 years. And we don't have any ugly registration numbers on our bows. ;)
Ditto dlochner on all points................3.5 months to receive USCG Certificate of Documentation after new boat was purchased in mid-October and received USCG Certificate of Documentation 3 weeks after on-line renewal in early January on another boat. I would add that you are legal with "Travel Letter, Notarized Bill of Sale and CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation UNTIL you receive the USCG Certificate of Documentation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.....I would add that you are legal with "Travel Letter, Notarized Bill of Sale and CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation UNTIL you receive the USCG Certificate of Documentation.
I bought new from AYS, who did the original paperwork, but they suggested I register with the state to make sure I had #s until the C.G. did their work. She did point out that new boats do not have a "history" to consider in the C.G. length of doing their work.

Feb 21, 2013
..............they suggested I register with the state to make sure I had #s until the C.G. did their work. She did point out that new boats do not have a "history" to consider in the C.G. length of doing their work.
You are correct that new boats do not have a "history" of prior boat ownership to confirm the title is free and clear of any liens. It is obtained through a an abstract of title in one day AND precedes the CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation submission which triggers USCG application review prior to issuing the USCG Certificate of Documentation.

Jan 11, 2014
You are correct that new boats do not have a "history" of prior boat ownership to confirm the title is free and clear of any liens. It is obtained through a an abstract of title in one day AND precedes the CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation submission which triggers USCG application review prior to issuing the USCG Certificate of Documentation.
On an initial new build boat, the builder submits a Measurement Certificate at which point a documentation number is assigned. At least in NY State that number becomes the registration number.

Sep 14, 2015
Cal 2-27 Lake Conroe
This topic comes up every couple of years, and I've experienced a lapse of Documentation on my boat, which costs extra, so here's what I did, FWIW.

I had received letters from Documentation Services - don't be duped, as there are dozens of these - who told me in so many words, "We walk you paperwork thru the NVDC, and we get your Documentation updated much faster than you can on your own." My BS detector was dinging constantly at this, so I called the NVDC very early one morning. They get totally inundated starting around 8:30, and you'll get their voicemail if you call later.

The lady at NVDC was very helpful, and told me exactly what to do, how to do it, and BTW, you can fax forms and even ask for special handling, or expedited handling. Ask about this when you call them. I was told by this Lady at NVDC that the outside 'services' do exactly what anyone can do, and that they have NO ABILITY to move you through the system faster, or easier; they have one business proposition only, and that's to take your $$$.

So, I sent my forms in, paid via credit card, and voila, I had my renewed Documentation in 2 or 3 weeks.
Don't forget, one new service is a TWO YEAR Document, simply pay two years worth, and you won't need to do this for two full years.

Jan 11, 2014
Don't forget, one new service is a TWO YEAR Document, simply pay two years worth, and you won't need to do this for two full years.
Beginning in January 2022, all renewals will be for 5 years at $130.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23.5 Washington DC
I send the paperwork for a new registration on October 12, 2020. Received COD on February 26 (Last week).. Renewals are much faster.

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
I get an NVDC weekly report on case processing times via email. You can sign up for this service on the Coast Guard site.

Jerry
Catalina 320

Jun 4, 2004
- - Island Time
I recently submitted USCG documentation to transfer ownership for a new to me Catalina 36. Does anyone have any recent feedback on how long it will take to have my documentation processed? It's been about 6 weeks now. I know they received my paperwork since they cashed the check I enclosed.
i was just told 6-8 weeks

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I navigated to a section on the coast guard website where I entered my document #'er and hull #'er and got to my inquiry was pending so you can get info off there site

May 2, 2020
Catalina 36 MkII 1778 Venice, FL
Today I received my documentation for the new to me Catalina 36. It took 15 weeks. Wow! Now I have the pleasure of paying FL sales tax.

Feb 21, 2013
Agree USCG certificate of documentation renewal is about 3 weeks.............but my experience on a recent boat purchase is it takes about 12-16 weeks to receive the first certificate of documentation after boat purchase. In the meantime you are still legal with either a traveling letter from the marine title company or CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation Signed copy, both with a notarized copy of the bill of sale. Of course. that does not hold up paying the sales tax.

• Helpful
Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Agree USCG certificate of documentation renewal is about 3 weeks.............but my experience on a recent boat purchase is it takes about 12-16 weeks to receive the first certificate of documentation after boat purchase. In the meantime you are still legal with either a traveling letter from the marine title company or CG-1258 Application for Certificate of Documentation Signed copy, both with a notarized copy of the bill of sale. Of course. that does not hold up paying the sales tax.
Closed in early February, still haven’t received CG documentation.