URGENT

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I'm sinking, well, not me per se, the boat is though.
Went down to the boat today to work on the spreader lights, only to find 3" of water in the bilge, she's normally bone dry.
Anyway, much searching and head scratching, come to find the upper part of the center board tubing has split!!!!
I'm pulling the boat out in the morning to address it, my plan is to "sleeve" the split with hose, temporary fix.
Anyone know the Od of the tube that houses the center board pendant?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
No but I can tell you if the tube is steel that trapping moisture by encasing it in a hose is the worst thing you can do.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Most likely it is fiberglass. My notes show a 1"OD on the pendant tube of my 25' Oday.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Ward, perfect! I bought 2' of 1" id and 1 1/8" id braided hose to sleeve it.
Even if it is steel, this only has to hold until Oct, I'm not losing a season ! :)
I'm taking GF bandage also, if the sleeve idea does not work, I'll wrap and resin the snot out of it!
It's just one thing after another

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Actually I like the idea of sanding it to clean and rough it up a bit, then wrapping with FG cloth and epoxy. Would probably be a permanent fix if the tube is FG.
The hose would be a lot less messier and faster turn around I imagine. Let us know how you make it.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
My tube is FG. Make sure you check where the tube goes into the top of the CB well. I have looked at 4 O'Day 23s over the years and everyone had some type of repair at that point. The tube is close enough to the companion way steps so it is easy to kick by someone with big feet. The other reason I think the tube gets broken is people do not know how to get the lid off the ice box and just pry it up against the tube. It's not natural to lift up the rear edge of the lid and slide it to the side.

I sleeved mine from the inside of the tube with pex tubing to stop leaks and give the haul line a clean run around the groove that was cut by the old haul cable. IMO that groove is the biggest cause of stuck CB. Do what you can to keep sailing this season and maybe get an auto bilge pump.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
well, for once it was a relatively painless repair.
The tube was indeed fiberglass, thank you Ward, and was 1" Od
Previous owner had repaired at the bottom as noted LeeandRick.
Split top to bottom, as soon as I touched it it fell apart.
Also found why it had broken before, as it comes from the center board trunk and goes up through the top step, it then has to bend quite a lot to get to the hole in the cockpit.
simple fix, made the hole in the step lager(it's covered by the teak step so you don't see it). replaced the hose joint at the bottom and used 3/4" id (1" od) PVC pipe
arrived at 9am to the lake, pulled fixed and was back in by 11.30am , sadly won't be able to check on it until next weekend, so I did leave the pump on, I didn't before because the boat was always dry.
Sat there for almost an hour, motored around still dry so I'm hopeful.