UPS must hate sailors

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Or it could be the universe being against me getting my Seawind MKII ketch ready to go back in the water.
Ordered 2 gallons of antifouling paint from Defender, it was backordered, don't know if I missed the backorder notice when I ordered or it went on backorder after I dropped my order. Not a big deal I've still got a few weeks of work to do.
After a couple of weeks I went to the website to see if it was still backordered and was going to cancel and select a different color that shows in stock and found that it had shipped. I figured they are getting slammed hard this year with the world starting to reopen and I'm not the least upset, it is what it is.
Got the shipment today, 1 gallon. Or rather what was left of one gallon after UPS had their way with it. I'm amazed that the packaging contained the paint that leaked out of the can. I found it sitting on my front porch and could smell it from more than 10' away and knew it was gonna be FUBAR. Really couldn't see and real damage on the outside of the box other than it had been obviously handled a little roughly.

I don't blame Defender and I've already contacted their customer service and fully expect them to do right by me and go after their shipper for the damage.
I'll update with the resolution.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ouch!

All the outdoor recreation companies seem to be hard hit in a good way since Covid. Business is booming. Between deferred vacations, more stay at home meals, less travel, and relief checks recreational businesses have been inundated. BC (before Covid) I could count ordering from Defender by 4 PM and have it on my doorstep by 4 PM the next day. Now, that sometimes happens, an order I placed on Wednesday arrived this evening, pretty much as it was in the past. However the order before that took 2 weeks to complete and nothing was backordered.

Defender's CEO occasionally visits SBO, perhaps he'll weigh in.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
UPS hates everyone. Let's be clear about that.

It's not only the peak demand that's made 2021 difficult, it's the material shortages. The shortages are so far up the supply chain (i.e., a chemical plant that supplies a vendor that supplies a vendor that supplies the paint-maker) that those of us on the retail end often don't know what is going out of stock when or coming back in -- things just show up without warning. Or not.

Mar 30, 2013
Not faulting Defender at all for the backorder/delayed shipping in the least I fully expect them to make it right. I am ragging on UPS though.:biggrin:

• Ha

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
UPS damaged a new rudder I had Foss Foam build, it looked like it had been dropped from twenty feet onto its end twice. And Foss had wrapped it really well. Had to have it reconstructed. They have one job, deliver something in one piece and they fail at that a lot.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
That's improper packaging for oil-based paint IMO and experience. Should have been in haz mat packaging, double boxed, and better contained. That's on Defender, not UPS. OK for latex, maybe, but not solvent-based bottom paint. Yes, I've had to train folks on packaging.

If that had been the USPS they'd likely be in legal trouble.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I just got a gallon epoxy kit delivered by UPS. Outside of the box was wet and sticky and I thought for sure the resin had leaked. But inside both jugs were fine. I don't know what the mess on the outside is but I'd almost rather it was the epoxy, at least I'd know what it was contaminated with. I did wash real well after handling the box.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Bottom paint is heavy. Some disgruntled employees tasked with handling heavy objects react by dropping them hard. Once had a huge suitcase. I would pack the thing with all my travel stuff including binoculars, cameras, Etc. Was heavy for sure. Got on a plane and watched out the window as the baggage handlers were loading the passenger's luggage onto a conveyer belt that went into the plane. Saw my enormous suitcase. Watched as a burly baggage handler lifted it up over his head and smashed it down onto the conveyer belt. Maybe he felt better after that.

Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
UPS delivers 21 million packages a day in the United States. More than 30 million during busy seasons. Your’s arrived damaged and will be replaced at no charge by the vendor. Yeah, UPS definitely singled you out because they hate you. It’s personal.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I know this sailor is not pleased with UPS. I've had nothing but trouble with the company when shipping long distances. Must because of temporary help and the aftermath of Covid. Lack of help, perhaps?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
When it comes to anything over about 5# UPS has issues handling with care, I have had furniture delivered through Amazon shattered on at least (3) occassions, I purchased some dive gear off market place the seller had Fedex package the equipment, it was a total wreck when it arrived, apparently the weight bags for the BC vest caused then heartache, not just them but also the seller as I insisted and received a partial refund from equipment rendered unusable. Like I said anything over 5# is a crap shoot.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
UPS delivers 21 million packages a day in the United States. More than 30 million during busy seasons. Your’s arrived damaged and will be replaced at no charge by the vendor. Yeah, UPS definitely singled you out because they hate you. It’s personal.
lightenupfrancis.jpg

Mar 30, 2013
As expected Defender has informed me they will make good on the order. Hopefully UPS won't FUBAR the shipment again.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
As expected Defender has informed me they will make good on the order. Hopefully UPS won't FUBAR the shipment again.
And maybe Defender will package it properly this time. The top of the can was not properly protected from edge impact, as demonstrated by the dent in the rim. It was just flopping around in there. There should also be a second containment bag, with an effective absorbent between them.

The thing is, proper packing adds cost. But as we see, there is a reason.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And maybe Defender will package it properly this time. The top of the can was not properly protected from edge impact, as demonstrated by the dent in the rim. It was just flopping around in there. There should also be a second containment bag, with an effective absorbent between them.

The thing is, proper packing adds cost. But as we see, there is a reason.

Unless they’ve changed in the last few months all of the paint I’ve received from Defender has been shipped basically as you pictured - box, shredded cardboard/paper cushioning, styrofoam top and bottom, and plastic bag. I think they might’ve used metal clips on the lid instead of the plastic rim.

Mar 30, 2013
There were no styrofoam or metal clips.just a plastic ring and containment was trash bag.
I found out yesterday that UPS also has/had the 2nd can but they have marked as undeliverable due to damage. Waiting to hear on that.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Watched as a burly baggage handler lifted it up over his head and smashed it down onto the conveyer belt. Maybe he felt better after that.
In the future, you should video tape the baggage handlers when you are shipping the Big Boy. Evidence for the claim. And the video will make "burly" feel even better in watching his display of strength!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
With the trickle down affect the Pandemic has on suppliers, I wonder if Defender is having trouble getting packaging supplies. Not that that excuses them from the very poor packaging in this case. Glad they are making good on the issue.

I guess I'm very lucky with UPS in my area. We even get a knock on the door when they deliver and the last delivery the driver waited until we answered the door. I trust them more than USPS.