Upper shroud chain plate placement

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Outstanding!! Gotta love an easy fix. :thumbup:

You might want to check your mast rake now, if you haven't already. And I'll bet you feel less weather helm than before.

Aug 19, 2016
Catalina 22 Elkton Va
I made a new adjustable backstay that resembles yours, Gene. I don't think the old one would have been long enough. We took it out yesterday and I did check my mast rake. I just finished redoing all my running rigging and running it all aft to the cockpit. Sailed wonderfully until my pos makeshift kickup rudder decided to part ways. Now it's time for a new rudder.
IMG_0991.PNG

Aug 19, 2016
Catalina 22 Elkton Va
We were about 5 or 6 nm from the marina when this happened but fortunately I just bought a like new Nissan marine 6 hp (really it's a tohatsu or really a tohatsu is a Nissan marine) and it ran great. The weather yesterday on Lake Anna was way to beautiful to be motoring tho. :banghead:

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Granted, our boats are different model years ....

Just for the record, this new style is basically like mine as far as mast/compression post and shroud chainplates attached to the bulkheads. When I drop the first thing that I do is loosen up the forestay and backstay, all shrouds about 4 full turns each. Then remove the forward lowers...before the forestay is removed. No problem dropping but I have to watch for snagging lines and bending those t-bolts if the shrouds aren't right when raising the mast.

~bilbo

Aug 19, 2016
Catalina 22 Elkton Va
I have an adjustable backstay and since I've moved the mast step forward I just pop the backstay loose, loosen the forward shrouds and pull the pin on the forestay and then I'm ready to lay the mast down.