Upper rudder bushing

Dubo

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 340 Deltaville Va
I'm investigating excess movement in the upper rudder bushing and am thinking the bushing is worn. Looking at the top of the rubber post while working the helm shows what I consider a lot of movement (1/2") and occasionally I feel a knock with following seas. When I haul-out I will know for sure.
In anticipation of a worn bushing, I am hoping someone else has had their rudder bushing repaired or replacement done and can educate me about your method of fixing this. West Systems offers a potential solution which involves injecting epoxy/graphite against the rudder post, thus tightening the gap. Option 2 - If replacing the upper bushing is doable, is there a source for one or a method of getting one made? I'm hoping someone else has had this experience with a solution they were happy with. Any threads that cover this?
TIA

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wrote an article awhile ago on this topic. I've never had to replace our rudder bearings so not of much help. Another possible fix is to insert a cut piece of teflon sheet around the post at the bearing to close the gap. That article here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Dubo

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 340 Deltaville Va
Thanks for another option Terry and link. Teflon sheet could do it if it is not out of round. I did drop the rudder today and will confirm the shape of the bearing. Out of round or worn evenly. I guessing the way Edson steering works, the bearing is out of round. The SS sleeve glassed on the rudder post appeared to be ok, as expected. I may try tapping the bearing as Don mentioned, though I'd hate to deform it if the adhesive used is stubborn. Don didn't expand on how to procure a replacement, by chance? If removable, then I'm thinking I'd need to find someone to machine a new one based on Hunter's specs for his model.

James

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sorry, but no help with procurement, James. Would suspect most local machine shops can custom cut one for you. Material is pretty common.