Upgrading line clutches H34

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
One of my least favorite parts to my H34 were the line clutches. I don't know if my lines were too big or the clutches too old, but it was always difficult to press down on the clutch to hold the lines or even open the clutch. I just got finished installing a set of Lewmar DC-1 clutches and the difference is huge. They open and close with ease. The replacement was very simple also. First remove the ceiling inserts on both sides of the cabin ceiling. Then using a ratchet wrench below and a philips screw driver (or powered driver) remove the four screws from the existing line clutch. Then scrap the old sealant and sand it smooth. Then fill in the old holes. Next using the template that comes with the line clutch tape it to the deck keeping the same angle as the original so it feeds easily into the winch. I made sure to miss each of the four old holes since the new triple clutch had six screws which didn't line up. I first drilled some small pilot holes through the template and into the deck, then removed the template and completed the holes. You can probably reuse the old 1/4 x 20 x 2 1/2 inch screws, but you may need more if you add a third clutch. One of the best investments!
clutch.jpg

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
great write-up and picture!

what type of core did you find in the deck? did you need to seal the new holes in epoxy and re-drill through the cured epoxy so there's no chance of water penetrating the core? If not, how are you keeping water out of the deck core?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I found only what seemed to be good dry wood under the clutches. I filled the old holes with boat sealant and the applied butyl tape to the bottom of the new clutch. Tightening the screws seems to squeeze the tape against the screws and seal the holes.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I really like garhuser because you can keep adding to it without having to install bunch separate units and all aluminum and stainless parts
20190506_150741.jpg
20190506_150746.jpg

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I really like garhuser because you can keep adding to it without having to install bunch separate units and all aluminum and stainless parts
I definitely like those, I just wish they put a little more effort in the aesthetics, but I'm not superficial enough to stop a purchase over that.