Upgrade Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Radcliff

Has any one tried to upgrade from the Hunter shroud adjusters to a screw type? I was thinking of doing this to help make the tuning of the rig easier. Right now the setting that I have them on, I think the rig is too loose, but if I adjust it one stop down, then I think it may be too tight. I have even tried to adjust the upper shroud down one hole, and I think that was too tight. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

R

Rusty

You are on the right track!!

John, You are on the right track to simplify the whole tensioning thing! I will be changing mine before I sail it this Spring. I plan on getting stock parts from our local West Marine and putting it together myself. Pretty simple job if you use the correct finished length range. If you have a local West Marine, I would bet that they have a crimper that you can use to swage the adjuster to the shroud (do not buy one!!!). I really do not know if proper tensioning is that important, but I almost always trailer my boat, and it will make tensioniong the mast much easier that it is right now (not that it is hard, but it is a pain in the tail!!). Cost should run less that $25.oo per adjuster. Good Luck.

M

Mark

Rig tuning

Please post your experience with tuning the standing rigging. I am planning to tighten the shrouds on my first trip out this year and I'd like to read any tips you could offer.

Apr 1, 2004
Hunter 170 Yorktown, VA
Nothing formal

I have not done anything formal yet. The couple of times that I had her out, I figured that would allow everything to 'set'. Before this season, I am going to get a rig tension gage, and spend some time adjusting. I imagine that it will be a pain, put in the forstay, measure the shrouds, unhook the forestay, make a adjustment, repeat until happy. I think there was some threads here about rig tension and adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.