Up the Pocomoke River to Snow Hill, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Someday soon, I want to retrace a trip my Father took back in 1972, from the Chesapeake Bay up the Pocomoke River to Snow Hill, Maryland in his 27' Chris Craft.

I was too young to recall the trip but remember passing under the draw bridge at Pocomoke City. Has anyone made this journey recently? Not sure what boat I'll be taking, as yet undecided but likely a 26-28 sailboat.

Apr 25, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Crisfield, Maryland
Pocomoke River

Someday soon, I want to retrace a trip my Father took back in 1972, from the Chesapeake Bay up the Pocomoke River to Snow Hill, Maryland in his 27' Chris Craft.

I was too young to recall the trip but remember passing under the draw bridge at Pocomoke City. Has anyone made this journey recently? Not sure what boat I'll be taking, as yet undecided but likely a 26-28 sailboat.
The trip up the Pocomoke River is gorgeous....however, in addition to the drawbridge, there is also a fixed bridge over the river at Pocomoke just up river of the drawbridge. I don't know the clearance but a 28' sailboat probably will clear it. You had best check the charts though for the official clearance. There is free temporary dockage at Pocomoke and I think the same is true for Snow Hill. Great trip. If you decide to take the trip let me know!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
My chart show 65' clearance on the Pocomoke City US 13 bridge which is the high fixed bridge.

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
My goal is to sail from Cambridge MD then motor up the Pocomoke River to Snow Hill.

surfo

Apr 24, 2012
watkins 27 annapolis
When are you going? Keep us posted, I'm thinking of doing this trip too in a similar sized boat that draws about 4 feet. seems doable. Probably in May.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
surfo said:
When are you going? Keep us posted, I'm thinking of doing this trip too in a similar sized boat that draws about 4 feet. seems doable. Probably in May.
Perhaps later this year, September. We currently have a WWP 15 which is not likely big enough for my comfort level on a trip more than one overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.