Unusual for around here, anyone know this person?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm a little confused by the report. The S/V Liberty was rescued a month ago by the Canadian Coast Guard or there was never a mission involving a S/V Liberty?
They know the owner's name is Bunn or they don't know where the sailboat came from?
They saw an unidentified guy and his dog backpacking? No one knows if he's heading to the Caribbean or back to Wisconsin?
I believe there has been a fundamental mistake by the good people of Canada. That boat is clearly owned by Atticus, the dog who also is featured in the story, 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Just look at the collection of chew toys aboard and that is clear.

I feel bad that the owner suffered such a sad disaster, but looking at the contents and condition of that boat when docked after the first rescue, and the idea that the owner simply abandoned a shipwreck like that, there may be some mental issues at play here.
Or
The backpacker is a red herring and the unlucky sailor has been lost at sea. Either way, that is a good looking dog. I hope Atticus and his human are all right.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Reading between the lines it seems like Bunn may have attempted to scuttle the boat and walk away. But with the engine inoperable and no sails how'd he get her out of the harbor, and how did he and Atticus get back to shore? Maybe he was able to get the engine running and "borrowed" a dinghy? It's 60 nm more or less from Sydney Harbor around to where Liberty washed up.
Liberty wreck.JPG

Seeing the drooping forestay in the picture at the dock I'm not surprised the wreck has lost the mainmast.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The possibility ,from the CBSA statement is maybe he didn't meet the requirements to enter or stay in Canada

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
maybe he didn't meet the requirements to enter or stay in Canada
Leaving your boat on the rocks I think would do that for CBSA.
You Canadians are a tolerant lot but I think you draw the line in the sand when a foreigner dumps a boat then runs ashore leaving his stuff.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The boat says “Chaumont” on the stern. Could be the hailing port.

I see a Chamont, NY, but not Wisconsin where the article said this Bunn guy was from.

Curious story...

Greg