untitled trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill johnson

I have recently purchased a day sailer and trailer. The trailer has no ven.number, or serial number. How can i obtain title or register this trailer to get tags? The boat which originally came from New Jersy has serial # but the original owner pasted some years ago. Can i get title to this boat?

J

john

trailer

I had the same problem. I went down to DMV and told them I built the trailer. They wanted to know the length and how many axles. When I gave them that information they issued the tabs and a title.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
You should be able to...

but how depends on the state. I bought a second hand trailer from a guy who had let the registration lapse years before. He gave me a bill of sale which I promptly lost. Since I only used the trailer twice, I never got around to registering it myself. When I went to sell it, I found all I needed to know about how a new owner could register the trailer from the DMV's website, including downloadable forms and instructions. Try your DMV's website.

Capt J

Mar 22, 2005
Hunter 31_83-87 Conway
Bill of sale??

Depending on your state law, a bill of sale will yeild a title in many states for the boat, if the serial number was recorded on the bill of sale. Some states will require that there be a notarized statement from the previous owner that the boat has not been used for "X" number of years if it has not been registered in a while. I agree with "trailer" response above in most cases. Some states require that you supply invoices for the materials that you built the trailer with before issuing a title and tags. Instead of guessing, why don't you call the licensing agency and explain what your circumstances are and usually they are more than willing to tell you what steps are required to get the titles for your boat and trailer. Since each state has different regulations regarding the securement of titles, it is just a guess unless someone from your state, that is familiar with the laws, responds to your question. Also, if you contact your state agency and they give you the requirements those will have to be followed or you will not be able to obtain what you are looking for.

Feb 7, 2005
Hunter 23 Mentor, Ohio
Weight

I'm in the same situation. The regs say I need to take it to a scale and get it weighed. We explained to the title bureau that there is a boat sitting on it, so I can't get a "trailer only" weight before launching. They said they will work it out when we stop in and waive the weight requirement.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Department of Motor Vehicles

In California this is what you would do, Start with your bill of sale, this should includ the boat, and trailer. If you don't have the Pink slip or owners orignal copy for the boat and trailer ( which would have the vin numbers, and hull vin number) your next step is to go to your Dept. of Motor Vehicle with your bill of sale, They will most likely want to see the boat and trailer, In California you would then be sent to the California Highway Patrol to have a NEW VIN NUMBER attached to the trailer and or boat if needed and be sent back to Dept. of Motor Vehicle with your new numbers. DMV will issue a new PINK SLIP FOR THE BOAT AND OR TRAILER. Good luck Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.