Untie the Lines and get going.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Even though I had spent five days at the boat 4 weeks ago prepping for today, actually checking to assure your ready and the Admiral has breakfast and is ready to leave takes more time then I ever plan.

1. Do I have an extra alternator belt, darn I used the new one to install the new alternator. Note to self Get Backup Belt.
  2. Fuel, oil, coolant, water strainer- where did all the green junk come from - clean strainer screen. Nice that I installed that Groco quick clean strainer
  3. Damn marina construction. Got to at least hose the boat down
  4. Start Engine. Smile at the new cockpit panel. Vrooommm. That’s nice. Water pump works
Finally untie the lines. Pretty good. Only an hour behind schedule

What do you face when you want to “untie the lines”?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Living aboard is nice, but it takes a lot of work to secure your "house" and everything in it for a day of sailing. I start the evening before, and get the boat ready to cast off first thing in the morning. Hopefully, if we are expecting guests, they will be on time and the boat will be ready. Occasionally , I will head out to a mooring the day before a planned sail. So much easier to just raise the main, drop the pendant, and go.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
When the misses and I travel on the boat, I don't have a set time to leave but I do have a destination and know the miles to cover and we don't sail / motor at night, so the distance traveled has to be within xx miles depending on the daylight duration with lots of allowance time.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If I manage to leave within an hour of my announced or anticipated time, I usually feel pretty good about it. (That would not apply to getting to a racing start, however.) As w/DayDreamer41, I back up from when I wish to arrive at destination, then add an hour or so earlier as the depart time. The "problem" with Admirals--they know all that they have to do to get ready, but not all that I have to do; so, there is often an underestimate of the amount of time it takes to cast off the lines, etc.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I usually like to get to the boat before our friends arrive. Usually have to clean off the bird and spider droppings, remove the webs and any lingering pests. Then just remove the sailcover, attach the main halyard, remove the fenders, and unplug the shore power . We sail a reservoir, so it's not an adventure per se unless the weather goes bad.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I usually like to get to the boat before our friends arrive. Usually have to clean off the bird and spider droppings, remove the webs and any lingering pests. Then just remove the sailcover, attach the main halyard, remove the fenders, and unplug the shore power . We sail a reservoir, so it's not an adventure per se unless the weather goes bad.
Dito... but I do like to sail to a cove for an overnight.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Emergency spider cleaning. Especially after taking the sail cover off the main...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Emergency spider cleaning. Especially after taking the sail cover off the main...
Once or twice a season a spray my bimi cover, sail cover and cabin cover with some of this... I also leave mothballs open in a jar inside the cabin when I'm not on the boat. It has really made a difference in the number of creepy crawly things on my boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@rgranger just ordered it! We are doing peppermint oil inside as the previous owner did and that seems to help a lot. I tried a variety of home defense products with some success so I'm willing to give this one a go given it is a camping and hunting level product.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
lots of allowance time.
An’t that the truth.
I am usually able finesse the departure. Not this time.

All is good. We’re making good time to our destination. I might pick up a little time in that the tidal current is about to change. Our later departure means for about 7 miles we will have a slack or pushing current. This might just workout.

Being our first together trip of the year. All is good.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I am usually able finesse the departure. Not this time.
Always nice to get away on time, for us that means within an hour of est. time. Did well this morning ( right on the hour mark) and had a relaxed sail to Montague Harbour.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
After getting the car loaded, pick up some ice and any last minute food/gear, drive to the boat, load and pack the boat, fill the water tank, and get out of the harbour; being within an hour of expected departure isn't too bad. Now, for a day or evening sail, it only takes a few minutes to remove the sail cover and get going.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
There have been times when our final preparations included turning around after beginning our drive to the club to go see grandchildren after getting a phone call. Seriously.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If we are planning to travel far the Admiral doesn't like to sail or motor at night, so we will provision the day/evening before and sleep aboard before we head out. If the weather is calm we leave at dawn and have breakfast underway. I have a checklist for getting underway and the reverse checklist for leaving the boat. I usually don't plan a destination other than to assure the Admiral that we'll be at the next port before dark.
Fixed destinations and rigid schedules don’t mix well with sailing. Maybe I should name my next boat “No Reservations”. :thumbup: Southern New England (home water) has many great destinations within a 12 hour sail in almost every direction, so we usually decide where we’re going next based on the weather forecast.