Unknown Sailboat Type

Sep 9, 2020
unknown 17' Alouette Lake
Help in identifying who the manufacturer the sailboat

We were given a sailboat which had sat outside for uncovered for 10 years
We are fixing up. There are parts missing which will have to be replaced and some of the rigging is missing.
We don't know the maker to see what the boat should look liked new.
What we do know is the length is 17' , the beam is 7' and the draft is 6.5"s. We believe the boat is 30 years old.
It is a single sail with the mast at the bow. It has a fixed drop down keel and the tiller is removable.
Based on cleaning the boat the the deck and cabin were blue.
Any help in its identiy would be greatly appreciated.
I have have been unsuccessful in my attempts to ID the boat
Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting little boat.

On the upper right hand corner of the transom, there should be a series of letters and numbers, this is the Hull Identification Number (HIN). The first 3 letters is the manufacturers code, then model and the hull number. The last letter and numbers indicate which month and year the boat was built.

Once you have that number, search for a HIN Decoder on the web, there are several. Once you know the manufacturer and model, use Sailboatdata.com to learn a bit more about the boat and search in the internet for more information.

Sep 9, 2020
Interesting little boat.

On the upper right hand corner of the transom, there should be a series of letters and numbers, this is the Hull Identification Number (HIN). The first 3 letters is the manufacturers code, then model and the hull number. The last letter and numbers indicate which month and year the boat was built.

Once you have that number, search for a HIN Decoder on the web, there are several. Once you know the manufacturer and model, use Sailboatdata.com to learn a bit more about the boat and search in the internet for more information.
we have hunted on the outside and inside the boat for its identification. This size boat dent require registration.

Jan 11, 2014
The HIN will be embedded in the hull. If it has been painted, then look for a little unevenness in the corner. Take a piece of paper and place over it and do a rubbing, sort of like a gravestone rubbing.

If it really doesn't have a HIN, then the boat is much older than 30 years. I forget the exact date, however it was in the mid to late 70s that all boats were required to have HINs. Even my 12 foot canoe has one.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... i will look again carefully, the problem is the boat has been painted.
If it looks like there WAS one on the transom, then there should be another location inside, maybe even the cockpit lazz. I don't see any winches. are you thinking this might be a lifeboat from a large ship?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Not familiar. Could have been molded out in the UK or Canada.
Perhaps.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello tosudbury and welcome to SBO forums,

No one will say, "I think it is a XYZ". There are so many unique features visible in the pictures that identifying the boat will eventually be "unquestionable". Is there a sail with the boat? There might be an insignia on the sail that would be useful in identification. Best Wishes.

Sep 9, 2020
If it looks like there WAS one on the transom, then there should be another location inside, maybe even the cockpit lazz. I don't see any winches. are you thinking this might be a lifeboat from a large ship?
the reason you don't see any winches is that they were stolen off the boat. The hand to lower the keel was also stolen.
We have the sail, mast and boom and some of the rigging. The boat probably wasn't required to have a HIN based on size and motor size

Sep 9, 2020
Hello tosudbury and welcome to SBO forums,

No one will say, "I think it is a XYZ". There are so many unique features visible in the pictures that identifying the boat will eventually be "unquestionable". Is there a sail with the boat? There might be an insignia on the sail that would be useful in identification. Best Wishes.
there is no insignia on the sail

Jan 11, 2014
The boat probably wasn't required to have a HIN based on size and motor size
If the boat was built in or imported into the US after 1972, it is required to have a HIN. The secondary HIN is hidden somewhere on the boat and usually requires the removal of some piece of equipment. It is hidden so the boat can be identified incase of theft.

Sep 9, 2020
Not familiar. Could have been molded out in the UK or Canada.
Perhaps.
If the boat was built in or imported into the US after 1972, it is required to have a HIN. The secondary HIN is hidden somewhere on the boat and usually requires the removal of some piece of equipment. It is hidden so the boat can be identified incase of theft.
thanks , when I go to our farm where the boat is stored for remediation I will do another search for ant ID. Theres nothing on the boat that can be removed to look under but I will try again. I'm not as agile as I was 60 years ago.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm not as agile as I was 60 years ago.
None of us are. :biggrin:

Sometimes the second HIN is on the inside of the hull and placed there before the deck and interior were attached. The only way to view the second HIN is to know where it is and then cut a hole in the liner.

Sep 9, 2020
None of us are. :biggrin:

Sometimes the second HIN is on the inside of the hull and placed there before the deck and interior were attached. The only way to view the second HIN is to know where it is and then cut a hole in the liner.
txs

Jan 11, 2014
And I should add, the only way to know where the manufacturer hid the second HIN is to know the manufacturer and hope its still in business. The USCG may also have records on where the HIN is located, however, you have to know the make and model of the boat. Kind fo a Catch-22.

Sep 9, 2020
And I should add, the only way to know where the manufacturer hid the second HIN is to know the manufacturer and hope its still in business. The USCG may also have records on where the HIN is located, however, you have to know the make and model of the boat. Kind fo a Catch-22.
exactly

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It sure is a unique boat, but are you sure you want to spend the time and money to get it sailworthy? Replacing the winches alone is big $$.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Let us know when you find out- looks like a fun little daysailer, long cockpit, I dig that little rounded top cabin door.

Sep 9, 2020
Th
It sure is a unique boat, but are you sure you want to spend the time and money to get it sailworthy? Replacing the winches alone is big $$.
That I know, but since the boat was free, and I maybe able to get some of this stuff used, I feel it’s worth the investment.