unknown piece of wood found in boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Wow interesting

A jig or mount of some sort. HMMM the wedge on the bottom and two scallops has me intrigued. Do the scallops on top match any frame? I will look around this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Can anyone tell me what this piece should be used for on my 1985 Oday 26. I found it under one of the main cabin seats and it is too well finished to be scrap. please see pictures
That's a wooden workbench stop that is used on the cockpit seat. The PO probably got that idea from reading L. Francis Herreshoff's book, The Compleat Cruiser. You'll find it on page 127 of that book. It comes in handy for doing some small boat carpentry on the boat.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
Joe.. thanks for the info, I got the book from the library and it does look simular, but with the 2 cuts in one end(1/2 circles) and that it is teak wood and no work bench marks lead me to feel that it is not a work bench. I am still in the fog with this but if nothing else I now have a couple nice piece of teak wood,:confused:

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe.. thanks for the info, I got the book from the library and it does look simular, but with the 2 cuts in one end(1/2 circles) and that it is teak wood and no work bench marks lead me to feel that it is not a work bench. I am still in the fog with this but if nothing else I now have a couple nice piece of teak wood,:confused:
If only that piece of wood could talk. Only the PO or someone who had sailed with him, would know what it was used for.
The only other thing that I could think of is; it could be a support of some kind for under the cockpit soul plate. I have something very similar to this on my O'Day 222. In the picture, it's behind the my centerboard pendant line pipe and bilge pump hose.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.