Unknown email request

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Recently, I had an email sent to me but it went to spam as the contact is not on my email list. He applied to be on my contact list. His note indicated that he got my email from the Forum. I scoured all the pertinent sites to see if the fellow had a post but found nothing. I asked Phil at the Forum if the name and email address were known. Phil responded back no such name or email address. Further, the Forum does not give out personal information as your contact information is guarded highly. @Phil Herring Thank you sir.

In essence, I deleted the spam and request to be put on my email quickly as I suspected something was amiss. In fact, some of you have my contact information but respect my wishes not to disclose that information except for me. So be aware of requests that you do not know or suspect something.

Crazy dave

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Awwwwww come on....you can't leave us hanging with your phrase that drives telemarketers nuts! Help us out here so we can all drive those pesky telemarketers nuts (especially from Marriott and Hilton that tell me I won free nights!).

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
(especially from Marriott and Hilton that tell me I won free nights!).
WOW, you get big hotels calling to tell you that you've won free nights ? ? ? ?

All I ever get is officers from Canada Revenue Agency (our taxation people) telling me I owe them taxes big time and I'm going to jail tomorrow unless I send them $5,000.00 in iTunes gift cards today.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe you should bargain with them. See if they really want just 2000 in pesos. In pennies. Better than iTunes gift cards. More durable in the rain.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Years ago, we had persistent calls on our land line (that we no longer have) from more than one person always asking for a woman, "Julie". Sue was getting really aggravated by it when she answered the phone. Tired of replying that they had the wrong number please don't call again, I finally said I would need credit card information. I said that "Julie" was everybody's favorite and her time on the phone was at a premium price. The first time, the guy argued with me for almost 10 minutes before hanging up, since I was getting more persistent about the need for "payment". It was actually fun to play with the guy. Somebody called again about a week later and it went on for a much shorter time before he hung up. They never called again.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Before anybody thinks that "Julie" was just a cover for somebody actually intending to reach Sue on the phone ;), it was pretty clear that it was some remote customer service organization from India and it seemed to be about re-filling pharmaceuticals that "Julie" may have ordered. When Sue picked up the phone, it just made her angrier over time and she started going off on them. It became pretty clear that anger wasn't getting rid of them ... we had to get creative! :cool: I was almost sorry they stopped calling because it was getting fun! I would say "don't you understand? You have to pay me. You want to talk to Julie, right? She's very nice. But you have to pay. You pay me first. I need your credit card number and authorization code. You pay first then talk to Julie, Ok? Understand?" This would just keep going on!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I just hang up. Security websites that monitor me, because someone else had a breach (Digest that!), tell me not to answer or respond to potential scams, phishing and on and on. Sometimes they are just looking for a valid phone # or email. When you respond it's a win for them. They can sell that. But I got a bunch of phone spam today - alot. Very annoying. For some reason a recent update, I think, wiped out my contacts on my iphone. So my defense is disabled. Crazy!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I almost always screen calls on my landline, until i check caller ID. But for a while, I had the same SOB calling me 15 minutes apart (I was letting it go to VM). Finally, I picked up and threatened to report him to my state AG, because I was on the Do Not Call list, He called a few other times over the next day or two, and each time, I called him by name, reminded him we spoke the day before and that I am calling the AG.

Havent heard from him in months....chalk one up for the good guys.

On my cell, if their name doesn’t show up (meaning they are in my address book), I don’t answer...they can leave a VM if it is important.

But one time, I checked my cell in the morning, and had 2 VM‘s from an unknown caller. As I listened to it, my heart sank as the caller said he was from my Marina, and that around 2:00 am they were trying to reach me because my boat was taking on water and sinking!

I hit the redial and got them on the phone...they said...oh, didn’t we call you back and let you know it was a false alarm...it was a different boat? No, I hadn’t listened to the second VM yet...it was like 3 hours after the first...sure glad I slept through the first call (in this case). I would have been pissed (but I guess thankful) when I showed up at
the Marina, just to find it someone else’s boat. it didn’t sink by the way...kids were having a party and had so many bodies on it that they swamped the stern.

Sometimes I really want to ditch all of the technology....No phones, no email, no texts.

Greg

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Greg,

Your post made me think finally. I have Do Not Disturb setup on my phone. So any number not in my favorites list doesn't ring after 10PM and before 8AM. But what finally sunk in was the marina is not in my favorites and if my dock was burning the first I would know is the video on GMA. Not good.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else is as slow as I am.
:eek: