Universal Westerbeke M25XPB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
Just wondered if anyone has had any wiring issues with the M25XPB. I have a 2005 C310, and I'm having problems starting the boat. When I play with the bank of wires on the port side of the boat (the hard to reach area, of course), everything works fine. I've found no shorts. I'm guessing that, due to rough running at low idle, something may be loose. I was just curious if anyone else has run into this. I solved the rough running problem...I simply throttle the engine up to about 1500 rpm's and the engine smooths out just fine.

G

George

Fatigue Problem

There are excessive vibrations at low RPMs causing fatigue problem with this and other Universal/Westerbeke models. Check the ignition switch there could be a fracture at one of the solid connections.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
I've had the same problem

I had the same problem last year. Mine wouldn't start, in fact it wouldn't do anything at all when I turned the key. The problem was simply a wire that had fallen came loose on the port side, just as you described, behind and below the alternator. Since it is so difficult to reach, and especially hard to see anything on that side, I didn't bother to identify the wire. But I'm almost sure it must go to the starter solenoid. It is just a slip-on connection, which slip off due to vibration. I just reach my arm around, got ahold of the wire and slipped it back on. I did it all by feel and couldn't see a thing!

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
Yes, I know the connection you are talking about..

I respliced and replaced the wire (twice!), only to find out that it was the wrong wire *grr. Now I need to open the harness, and go through about 10 wires to (hopefully) find the loose end. It IS amazing how much that engine shakes at low rpm's though. At low idle, I'd swear that the engine was going to come right off the mounts. The second you throttle up though (even a little), it runs as smooth as silk...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There's also a fuse in the wire that Mark

mentioned. The fuse holder can deteriorate, so the engine won't start. Why not get a wiring diagram of the engine and figure out what each wire is and how it is supposed to work?

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
I've been following the diagrams...

in my Westerbeke owners manual, and I checked all of the connections. Except for the connection to the water pump, everything looked fine. The heat sensor (that displays water temp.) slid off of the terminal. Interesting to note that, after following the schematic, this sensor is part of the wire that goes to the starter switch. Funny thing is, when I left it disconnected, the engine started up just fine. I don't believe I have a fuse problem because, when the fuse goes, it won't start until you replace it (been there done that just not with this boat). I've "re adjusted" the wiring harness with ties (because I think it gets caught up on the stairway box whenever I open and close the engine compartment). I'll need to figure out how to keep that sensor attached (it slips off when the engine is running)...Unfortuately, I don't think Westerbeke has a replacement (unless I buy the whole electrical wiring harness which I don't want to do at this point). Let's see what happens in the next 2 weeks (I'm pulling the boat on Oct. 6)...Thanks for the responses, and feel free to chime in if you have any other insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.