Universal transmission failure while sailing

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
Catalina 27 1987 with M18 Universal engine starts and sounds normal. Pulled out of Harbour and ran engine for about 30 minutes. after sailing for a couple hours, started engine up and ran fine. Would die every time I put it into forward. stuck in channel. Transmission worked in reverse for about 10 minutes then same problem. Engine ran fine in neutral then died when putting in gear. Any ideas about what’s going on? I checked the bilge and there was a film oil film heavy in the bilge water.

SeaDogRun

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Maybe the prop is fouled with a fishing or crab trap line? That would be the least expensive possibility anyway. Put the transmission in neutral, engine off, and see if you can spin the prop shaft by hand in both directions.

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
Everyone, the morning always brings light! When we went back to the boat this morning, I was able to see the port bow line taut against the side of the boat. Guess what? Wrapped around the propeller. I"ll be swimming this afternoon! Thanks for your responses.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Cool, now how about that oil in the bilge :) (it never ends).

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
yeah that's a mystery still. I'm getting fresh absorbant towels to see if I can spot anything. The seacock for the diesel engine water cooling system was open I noticed. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. That one I may need to leave to a mechanic unless I can isolate the leak.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Assuming it’s oil and not diesel there are only so many places it could be coming from. The engine should have some kind of fiberglass pan to keep oil leaks out of the bilge, so see if that pan appears to be intact.

It’s also worth checking any storage areas for old cans of oil or transmission fluid. We had a transmission fluid can rust through once, leaking its contents into the bilge.

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
Thank you! Pan is missing. Old owner just had absorbant towels. I'll install a pan. Went swimming in the marina. Unwound the bow line. Fired her up and moved back into the slip. Easy except for the barnacle tears into my fingers. Forgot that part.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Thank you! Pan is missing. Old owner just had absorbant towels. I'll install a pan. Went swimming in the marina. Unwound the bow line. Fired her up and moved back into the slip. Easy except for the barnacle tears into my fingers. Forgot that part.
For what it's worth, change the tranny fluid.