Universal M-25XPB Sherwood Raw Water Pump Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
OK final update. After dealing with an electrical issue (that include a call to Mainesail for help) I was able to start and run the engine up to temp. It held steady at 160°. All in all, I am glad I made the switch even though it took more work then I planned.

Again I recommend that anyone with the M-25XPB go with the N203M-16 pump. It will save alot of time messing around with brass fittings and will be a better set up in the end.

Fair winds! Now lets get some sailing in!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Jk,
I felt bad recommending that pump seeing all the modifications you had to do. I looked back on my change out and saw I had to cut away a small notch but that was it. All four bolts lined up. The Sherwood used 2 bolts and a pair of hold downs. I do remember having to get smaller barbs. I have the M25XP.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
No worries Bob. I only posted so much detail because I k ow a couple of other C310 owners were considering the same change. No where in my posts did I ever think I was better sticking with the sherwood.

Thanks for the help.

JK

Aug 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Dana Point, CA.
OK final update. After dealing with an electrical issue (that include a call to Mainesail for help) I was able to start and run the engine up to temp. It held steady at 160°. All in all, I am glad I made the switch even though it took more work then I planned.

Again I recommend that anyone with the M-25XPB go with the N203M-16 pump. It will save alot of time messing around with brass fittings and will be a better set up in the end.

Fair winds! Now lets get some sailing in!
Hi JK,

Thanks for all the information regarding your change to the Oberdorfer 202M - 15 Pump.

I bought C310 #182 (2002 with an M25XPB) in July of 2011 and replaced a leaking Sherwood pump before we brought the boat south to Dana Point. I have approximately 110 hours on this pump and it's leaking already.

I'd like to make the change to the Oberdorfer and have just a couple of questions.

What tools did you use to remove the excess material on the base of the Oberdorfer?

And, how has your modification worked for you since you made the change in April? Are you satisfied this has been a good update?

Thanks very much for the help,

John

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jan 6, 2010
JK,

Sorry about your issues with the Sherwood pump.

If your manual shows both the Oberdorfer & sherwood pumps, take note of one thing. The Oberdorpher has fewer parts, The Sherwood is a piece of crap.

By design, the Sherwood is destined to fail. I installed an m320A straight out of the box. 1-1/2 years later I needed to replace it. My mistake was that I went with a Sherwood replacement pump. 1- 1/2 years later, I finally wized up & bought an Oberdorpher. This is a far superior pump.

One impeller & 1 gasket, when needed & you should have no problems. Yesterday, I changed out my 1-1/2 yr. old impeller. It was still very pliable but, maintenance is maintenance pal....

CR

Aug 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Dana Point, CA.
Hi Captnron,

When Universal went to the "B" version of the M25xpB they changed the engine block and the only raw water pump that is "designed" to fit this engine is the Sherwood G 908 now the Westerbeke 42175. There is no alternative offered..I contacted Westerbeke directly and that was the answer.

Too bad. From what I've read and from talking to my slip neighbor, who also happens to have a 310, the Sherwood pump isn't the greatest for length of service or ease of service.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.