Universal M-25XP engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Jun 26, 2007
- - san diego, ca
replacement parts for M-25XP, a source, and specifically what my surveyor refers to as "engine exhaust watermix elbow'. Anyone had to do this part replacement on their Catalina 30. Mine is Catalina 30 1989. thanks, keeper

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's more commonly called an exhaust riser

and the mixing elbow is where the raw water mixes with the exhaust gases before they go into the water lift muffler. The riser is attached by a flange at the aft end of the manifold (where you put the fresh water coolant). Trace it on your engine. Everyone has HAD to do it because they fail, fail, fail, because that's where the most noxious stuff gets mixed: hot exhaust gas and sea water! Suggest you use the C30, C34 or C36 'sites, or do an archive search here, on "exhaust riser" for more information. You can get them from the factory or have your own made up of pipes and a welded nipple to connect the water hose to the exhaust gas pipe. Try the link, first one from a google search.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Actually, it's not

The "engine exhaust watermix elbow" is just that - the engine exhaust watermix elbow. It's connected to the riser via pipe threads. These are available from a Universal parts distributor for around $120. You might not need to replace the exhaust piping which comes off the flange, but when my elbow broke I replaced everything, from the exhaust flange at the manifold through the "hump hose" to the waterlift muffler, just so it would stay fixed for another 20 years. I used schedule 80 pipe black iron pipe (I think) which the plumbing supply house cut and threaded for me at the lengths I specified, copied from the old pieces. It takes a big vise and wrench to screw this stuff together correctly, so have someone do it for you if you don't have the setup. A plumber will be cheaper than a boatyard, hard as that may be to believe. The supply house might do it for you, which will be the cheapest. It must be wrapped properly to heat-insulate it, so it doesn't set the boat on fire or burn you. Catalina Direct has the hump hoses, which have a vibration absorbing bulge in them, unlike the straight exhaust hose originally fitted by Catalina. This job is worth probably $500 in parts and labor if the yard does it, maybe more. For general engine parts, MarineDieselDirect. To save money, find a Kubota engine dealer and determine what model Kubota yours is. An M25 is Kubota D850.

C

Chief

Exhaust Elbow Riser Kit

I completed this project two years ago. I went a different route than just replacing the "broken arm" as it is known. I used a part that is now sold by Westebeke, which owns Universal. It is a Exhaust Elbow Riser Kit plus a Nipple. The part is cool to the touch, no burned body parts or chance of fire. If you are interested I could try and find some pictures or e mails that I followed to complete the project. I also replaced the muffler at the same time as well as all of the hoses.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
And he said he has an M25XP

which is a D950. Yes, the elbow is a small part of the over all riser, but the riser would get more hits on a search, and most replace the whole thing.

keeper

Jun 26, 2007
- - san diego, ca
M-25 and all related engines

Good responses, thank you, a true wealth of information and experience out there, again thanks for your inputs. keeper.

keeper

Jun 26, 2007
- - san diego, ca
riser replacement

Chief, After reading your response, yes I would like any additional information and information on your replacement process. Since you recommend doing the 'complete' job not just a one part replacement, I am now thinking go all the way. related question, ever have done work on the heat exchanger/ regards, keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.