Universal M-18 Diesel Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2009
Catalina 27 Belmar
I have a univeral m-18 diesel engine in my 1985 catalina 27. Today I replaced the water filter and adjusted the stuffing box. I notice that while I was running my engine the coolant wasn't rising to go through the engine. Is this normal? Then I noticed around the v-belt pulley that coolant is seeping slowing from that area. Can't really tell where it is coming from. Any answer for my two questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Al

gdanza

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 22 Visalia, Ca
in most cases, in order for coolant to rise and circulate, there has to be coolant, and in a quantity to reach the water pump. If it reaches the water pump, and the water pump works, you should see circulation. Although I am unaware of the circulation system in your boat (IE closed system: radiator, open system: lake/sea water) I am pretty sure you may have A) low coolant level, B) bad water pump, or C) a blockage somewhere. Diesels make a lot of heat, so I wouldn't run it long with out the cool juice running through it. Start with the easiest, by checking the coolant level, then check the V-belt tension, to make sure the pump is spinning, then check the pump itself . If you have adequate coolant, check to see if the seeping becomes leaking. I would think that you should see coolant moving when ever the engine is running, unless you have a thermostat, then you would as soon as the thermostat opens. Let me know what you find. I have a little outboard, and don't know much about inboard/outboard setups, but engine cooling is, well, uh, engine cooling. There isn't much to it.
Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Trace the leak, trace the leak, trace the leak. It could be coming from your pump, in which case you need to deal with it.

Nov 12, 2009
Catalina 27 Belmar
well, i traced the leak and it looks like it is coming from the seal around the pump. so i think the best thing to do is just to replace the pump and seal. do you know of a dealer I could purchase the pump and parts on line? Thanks as always for your help.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 27 Stone Harbor NJ
I replaced my coolant pump on my Universal M-18 diesel last season. It had been seeping coolant, so repair or replacement were required. I believe the seals are pressed in, so I went with a simple remove/replace and installed a new pump. I kept the old one as an emergency spare.

I got my pump from Marine Diesel Direct. It ran around $350 or so. Not cheap, but it was a brand new, perfect fit part. Installation took around two hours. I did the install while my dad smoked a cigar and handed me tools as I needed them.

After the replacement, I had no seepage/leakage. I topped off the coolant, ran the engine to make sure I had no more air bubbles to burp out, and the coolant level hasn't budged since.

It's not a bad job if you're mechanically inclined.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.