Universal Fuel Injector Replacement (not rebuild)

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Hey all.

Looking for some part vendor options on replacing the fuel injectors in my circa 1985 Universal M12. Any advice appreciated. Seems I can't just run down to the local boat supply store for these babies.

Best.

Tom O'Day 28

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
You can have the old ones rebuilt for much less $$. Look around for a tractor repair shop or a shop that specializes in diesel engines. Any good shop will test them for you and let you know if they need to be rebuilt. You can take them to any Kubota dealer for rebuild, but they usually don't have the capability and will just ship them to someone that can. Cut out the middleman and take them yourself.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
There's a chain called Fred Holmes Injectors that are really good at rebuilds or replacement - see if there's one in your area.

druid

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Here's a link to an online tractor shop and the injector you need. Or go to your local Kubota shop and ask for parts for your G3200 tractor. Same exact parts for maybe 1/10th the price. Do NOT, under any circumstances, buy any parts through the Westerbeke / Universal parts system.
The only parts on the engine you cannot get from the tractor shop are the exhaust manifold and raw water pump. The pump can be gotten much cheaper from other sources like Depco pump, and if you need the manifold you're just SOL.

http://www.messicks.com/part/15841-53000/holder-nozzle-a

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Thanks Captain. Not to be a doubting Thomas, but how are you correlating my M12 = Kubota Z400 = Kubota 3200 Tractor? I do want to believe these fuel injectors can be had for 1/3 of Universal-Westerbeke price. Tx. Tom.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Whoa! Excellent! I'd say I just climbed out of the rabbit hole. Now if I can just get the dang injectors removed! That should be fun! Thanks to all.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I was just going to say what Kloudie replied. That's where I got it too. I also did a Cortana search "what tractor is the Kubota Z400 engine used in" and got the same answer. If its on the internet it must be true!

I used a deep socket (metric, I don't remember the size) and a breaker bar to get mine out. There's a thick copper crush washer under the nozzle that needs to come out, if it stays in the hole you can fish it out with a piece of wire. The new nozzles should come with new washers.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I do want to believe these fuel injectors can be had for 1/3 of Universal-Westerbeke price.
Tom, we've been telling people with Kubota tractor engines in their boats this same thing for the past 30 years.

What's not to like?

Kubota equivalents

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The nozzles in particular are aftermarket items. Universal doesn't make them and neither does Kubota. They're actually made by Denso and the wholesale price appears to be around thirty or forty dollars. Kubota and the independent parts suppliers buy them and add whatever markup they want. It just happens that Universals markup is about 300%. All they do is put their own label on the box. It's the same as the parts Kubota does make, Universal buys them like anyone else and relabels them. Those are very expensive labels, and that's all you're getting for the money. As long as people keep paying the price, they will keep doing it.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Thanks again Captain JGW. As they say here in New England, "wicked helpful." Note I was not questioning your advice...just trying to get my algebra straight, if 5411 = 3200, and M12 = Z400, then M12 = 5411 and 3200. :waycool: Tom.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Actually the 5411, aka M-15, is a Z500 engine out of a B5100 tractor. It's real similar to the Z400 just a little higher displacement. (The 400 and 500 are the cubic centimeter displacements.) I'm pretty sure they use the same injector nozzles though. I've looked through the parts books for various Kubota engines and they all show different part numbers, but when you search the numbers at a supplier they list one part that replaces all of them. When you get into their bigger engines the replacement numbers are different and the actual parts look different. There are quite a few parts that are shared between multiple models.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Hey all. I know you weren't sleeping on this...my new Kubota injectors are now in place and job was pretty straightforward. Quick question - I've read that I would need to bleed fuel system after this work - but manual says M-12 is self bleeding and is sans bleeding instructions. Thanks in advance. T.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Don't believe it. Turn off the water intake, leave the injector pipes a little loose at the nozzles, and crank until fuel squirts out with no bubbles. Tighten the pipes back up and she should start right up. Don't forget to open the water intake again.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Extended cranking with the water on can flood the muffler and get water into the cylinders. If it starts right away there's no risk, but you don't know until you try it.
Unless yours has the electric lift pump. (My 5411 doesn't). If its electric just turn it on till the fuel flows out. No need to crank, no risk of flooding.

Last edited: