Universal 5411 parts & Kubota parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhamp

Jul 26, 2011
Catalina 38' Key West (seasonal)
Read many threads reference the inter-changeable parts between the Universal 5411/M-15 (2 cylinder 11 HP engine) and the Kubota Z500 block.

As many of you know, many of the parts are identical except for the prices..the tractor prices are always much cheaper than the marine version.

I have compared the diagrams, for example, the starter and they are absolutely identical. The part designation is often stated different. For example, "brush holder" on the 5411 would be designated "holder brush" on the Kubota Z500 block assembly..or the actual tractor designated as B5100.

I wonder if anyone has taken the time to spreadsheet the 5411/M-15 or M-20 parts to coincide with the parts from the Z500 Kubota block assembly or the B5100 tractor?

In any event, virtually thousands of these engines have been built..used in marine engines of various models/makes...and tractor engine made by Kubota.

If you have a part from your marine engine that needs to be replaced..try the local Kubota dealer or a parts designated OEM dealer.

If anyone can contribute to this thread to reinforce the "where" or "how"..I know many would appreciate.

1982 Catalina 30/"2704"

Randy/enroute from overseas to Key West..where the boat is slipped!

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
kubota parts

Marine parts are marinized tractor parts the extra money pays for engineers to take the standard parts and adapt for marine environment often just adding stainless fasteners or bronze impellers and such but on electronic parts spark arrestsors are added to avoid explosions usually they are just brass screens added to the holes of the equipment . Diesels not very flammable but other chemicals with in the boat like your alcohol stove fumes can make there way to bilge low in boat and get sucked to engine when started and ignight I have taken a tractor alternator and added the screens from the bad boat one to in a sense marinize myself . usually the best way is to take part off ; go by tractor store first compare part if a lot of differences (especially material made of) go get marine one

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
When I first got my C 30 with the 5411 I tried to find parts from "Tractor Supply" that I thought would be cheaper then marine-Universal distributors. The problem is that the parts numbers from Universal & Kubota seem to be completely different. So unless you have a Kubota parts catalog, its hard to deciphor what your looking for. It also a good point to reference that the tractor parts are not marinized. Newbies sometimes think they can save $$ by buying a regular auto alternator, etc. & they are not sealed & can generate sparks & hence casue a potential explosion. So not worth the discount. Although I've always joked that W. Marine will stamp "marine" on a roll of toilet paper & charge U 10 bucks for it! I've bought oil change pumps at mallwort for $8. for that W. Marine sells for $40. But then again I'm not going to get a Lewmar portlight or Harken block from the local discount store either. Its good to have a real chandlery around when U need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.