Universal 5411 engine starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

digggs

Feb 13, 2012
catilina 30 tall rig lasalle lake Ontario
I have a Catilina 30 with a Universal 5411 diesel engine.I am having problems with starting. I end up having to spray a little starting fluid to get it started.Once it runs its good for the rest of the day and starting is not a problem.Glow plugs are heating up and the starter has been rebuilt.Can any one help me out?Would love any input or suggestions.:confused:
Thanks
Sean.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The usual suspects to look at when a diesel has a hard time starting is, #1: air in the system. You then have to bleed the fuel system by opening bleeding screws along the fuel tree all the way to the injectors. When the bubbles cease and fluid is present with no bubbles, the engine should start. #2 Water in the system, which could be from either condensation or rain water seeping around the deck fill cap which needs a new rubber 'o' ring. #3: Dirty fuel or something that is clogging the system which means you may need to clean out your filters, etc. If these don't take care of the problem, then you can start checking injectors. Pull them and crank the engine and spray the stream on to a napkin. The pattern should be conical with a nice oval spray. If this appears ok, then I would suspect the rings at the pistons. If the boat sits a long time, rings can rust and stick which inhibits compression essential to diesel engine starting and operating. Compression creates the heat required to fire the pistons in the combustion chamber much like a spark plug does on a gas engine. By putting in a little oil atop the cylinders, you create a temporary seal which gets the engine going. Sometimes that will do the trick, but if you have to repeatedly do this, then you need to find the culprit.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I don't know if this suggestion is included within the link above but don't use starter fluid. Every marine diesel mechanic tells me this is the worst thing you can use. If you have to use anything, use WD40.

Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
I would suggest that air is getting in the system (as mentioned before) and no fuel is getting to the injectors. Sitting unused allows air back into the system. Remember that the raw water pump is pumping water when you crank the engine and it is the started engine that blows the water out of the water muffler. If the engine is cranked without starting, water can flow back into the cylinders. Crank without opening the water inlet or drain the water muffler (until started). Water in the cylinders is serious and major problem, water won't compress. Except for the starter motor and glow plugs don't see how electrical could be related. Do give us feedback when you find the problem as we 5411 owners may need it someday...good luck.

digggs

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for all your responses.I will definitely apply your advise and get back to you with the results.

digggs

Feb 13, 2012
Hello I'm back I have discovered my cables are warming up could I have a ground problem?The starter does seem inconsistant when cranking?fuel seems good.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Digggs, I also have a 5411 diesel. My engine runs good (knock on wood) but it will never start unless it has the glow plugs engaged for at least 30 seconds prior to cranking the engine. Make sure that your glow plugs are getting power & that they actually work. The universal diesels really rely on having glow plugs on to warm the cylinders prior to cranking to assist with starting, since these engines don't produce as much compression as Yanmars, etc. do. If your starter or battery cable is getting hot it may be from overheating the starting circuit from cranking too long.
I second what others have said about not using starting fluid - remember diesel engines are designed to run on 40 octane/ cetane not the 90 + that starting fluid has. You risk blowing out your piston rings using it. It sounds like U may have contaminated fuel.
If there was a serious air lekage then the engine would sputter out and stall. When diesel ages from lack of use it can absorb condensation water sweating on the tank walls, & then bacteria sludge will develop. Take a sample of fuel from the bottom of your fuel tank. If it looks green, then you need to pump it all out & change all of your filters. Let us know when U find the culprit.

digggs

Feb 13, 2012
Wiring to the ignition was the problem, jumping the terminals made the starter fully crank and engine started well.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Sean, are you counting to 30 slowly and holding the glow plug button on when you crank the engine? And increase the throttle so it picks up speed soon as it starts. Mine won't run at low idle when it starts until it's warmed up. I've a 5416 darn near the same engine as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.