Universal 5411 and Campbell Sailer prop

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My daughter has her heart set on a 1982 C30 with the Universal 5411. The current prop is a Gori two blade folder. She will use the boat in Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. My theory is that a Campbell Sailer 3 blade would wring the most efficiency out of that small engine. Thoughts and advice short of a repower greatly appreciated.

I know of two people with a CS prop and the performance is terrific.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is a sailboat. :)

The Gori folding prop will yield much better sailing performance than a 3 blade fixed prop. Sailing with the fixed prop will be like sailing and dragging a small bucket behind the boat.

My prior boat was a Sabre 30 with a 13 hp Volvo, in terms of horsepower, not much different from the 11 hp Universal 5411. I was never at a loss for power with a Martec folding prop. Folding and feathering props typically have poorer performance in reverse than in forward, but how often do you need to go in reverse as opposed to sailing forward.

I would not shy away from a boat with a folding prop. Given a choice between 2 otherwise equivalent boats I would choose the boat with a folding/feathering prop over a fixed prop, especially a fixed 3 blade prop.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Puget Sound and the San Juan islands have strong currents and the summers have light winds. The CS has the least drag of any fixed three blade. I have a flexofold three blade on my h466. My son has a three blade CS on his H410 and his performance matches mine.

So I’m wondering if any C-30 owners with the 5411 have thoughts.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
3 bladed Campbell is a great prop. Leave your tranny in neutral and you’ll hardly notice it. The bucket tow example is for a Michigan style prop and trans in reverse. Much less drag in neutral. And before someone pipes up and says Hurth must be sailed in reverse - they changed that ages ago. 26A8AD68-ED55-470A-A49B-BFA0FA44AB31.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Michigan style prop in neutral is still lots more drag than a folding prop. I switched to a Flexofold and gained up to a knot at low wind speeds.

Sorry to the OP buy I don't have any info to compare Gori to Campell, but like you said I've never read anyone saying they felt like they went wrong with the Campbell.