Uniden Atlantis 200 VHF handheld radio

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
I recently bought a Uniden Atlantis 200 handheld radio, new-in-box but very cheap. Looking around the web I could find only a couple reviews of this little radio and they were rather negative. Apparently, Uniden has discontinued this model contributing to my suspicion that it may be a dud.

If anyone has experience with this model, I would appreciate hearing their opinion. If a radio doesn't work well, it doesn't matter how cheap it was; it's no bargain.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You've already made your purchase. A decision based on price. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will give you good service. Unless you can return it, why aggravate yourself with self doubt and hindsight.... use it and write a report based on your own experience.

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
It's a gift!

You've already made your purchase. A decision based on price. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will give you good service. Unless you can return it, why aggravate yourself with self doubt and hindsight.... use it and write a report based on your own experience.
Actually I bought it as a gift for another sailor, which is why I am especially concerned.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's always the thought that counts ... I'm sure a friend wouldn't be critical. If you buy another that has better reviews, maybe exchange it with your friend and explain that you will use the original one so that you can compare performance!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Re: It's a gift!

Hello pupluv,

What's in a number?

We have owned the Unidem Atlantis 250 for many years. It has worked until recently. Within the last year it has failed to hold a charge. The charge indicator looks fine until we call on the radio. Although it receives well the indicator takes a nose dive after calling. To describe the radio accurately I must mention that several areas of the case now show corrosion signs. Batteries + does not have a replacement for the internal battery and long ago I misplaced (read threw out!) the back cover that allowed for the use of AA batteries in place of the rechargable battery. We got many hours of use from it.

RE: the gift...... I think I remember an old saying: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

31seahorse

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
Mine is about 10 years old, and still works fine, though I rarely use it. It gets a charge every 90 days or so, whether it needs it or not. Still has original rechargeable battery. Never tried the AA battery option, but have it on board. I've dropped it on the cockpit sole a few times with no issues.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I had one...good to go. Liked that it used AA batteries.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I just replaced the rechargeable battery for my old uniden 250. Mine exhibited the same symptoms this past season, showed a full charge but as soon as I keyed the mike it would show little or no charge and wouldn't transmit. New battery works great.

Steve

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
Uniden 200

I gave the gift and we tried it out in a daysail today. I discovered one reason for the low price is that it is underpowered compared to most handhelds: 3.5 watts compared to 5 for the typical. I guess this could be important because the antenna is not high.

Regardless (or irregardless as is said in New Jersey) the little radio worked well enough and I liked the fact that it used cheap re-chargeable AAA batteries rather than the proprietary battery that always costs a lot.