Uni-Solar Panel Replacement for 456 2004 Hunter

Aug 17, 2020
Hunter 456 Vero Beach, FL
I am looking for a replacement 10 watt semiflexible solar panel . $299 is a ridiculous price for a replacement panel.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Hopefully, that was a misprint and you meant 100 watt. If so, Renogy makes some reasonably priced flexible panels. We have them on our boat (2 seasons now) and they've been fine.

Aug 17, 2020
Hunter 456 Vero Beach, FL
No, I am looking for the 10 watt panel in front of the companionway deck mounted. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The starting battery. It keeps it topped up.
It probably doesn't do much at all. At best it generates about 2.4 amphours of power a day. While probably more than the natural discharge rate, the discharge rate is really low.

One myth about starting a motor is the amount of energy it takes. In reality the amount of energy it takes to start the engine is pretty small. It does take a lot of energy for a very short period of time which is quickly replaced by the alternator.

If your starter uses 300 amps for 6 seconds to start the diesel, it has only used .5 amphours of power. The alternator brings the start battery back up to 100% SOC before the sails are fully set.

Save your money.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Sunpower makes a flexible 50 watt panel about 2"x2". I think the trickle charger is a good idea, my boat has no shore power, so all of my electronics have to run off the charge I put into the battery motoring out and motoring back 2years so far so good but having 100+ AHr of solar charge per week would insure the battery is always ready to go.

Jan 11, 2014
The price is high because of the custom mounting. A Genusun or Victron controller can also be had for around $100. And, 37 watts will do much more than the original 11 watt panel.

If this was my boat and faced with this choice, I'd forgo the 11 watt solar and add an ACR between the house and start bank.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
There is nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a small solar panel to balance out self discharge and keep a battery from going flat. There are now many choices for replacement most of which are higher power and much lower cost. What you should be aware of is that for that small solar panel there may have been no regulation installed because none is really needed therefore if you do replace it with a bigger panel the need for regulation must be considered

For my boat and my trailer I have used Renogy and Grape Solar with good results

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
There is a lot more that goes into this than just raw wattage, please give us a call if you'd like a complete explanation.
877-932-7245
indeed.

It is a good value when you realize it is a custom crafted trim ring that exactly fits the deck of the Hunter, with a wire chase built into the bottom. it will look perfect and SBO will supply expert installation support as part of the package.

Making your own takes time and craftsmanship. The trim is a custom made piece that SBO stocks for your convenience. It’s been tested to fit perfectly and look good, right out of the box. It will look like it’s OEM. It

Of course, if you have the design skills, fabricationand craftsmanship, time, tools and materials, you can make the trim piece yourself and “pay“ yourself.

Your choice. Your time. Your money. DIY and buy-it are both valid choices.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I want a replacement panel not a new trim ring.
I suspect you are not going to be successful. The solar industry has moved in the direction of more power in a smaller footprint. The market for panel with the same dimensions as you need is going to be pretty small. That and an 11 watt panel is pretty useless.

Maybe someone on eBay has one to sell.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The panel was chosen because it fits the opening for a number of models and is rugged enough to walk on. It is most definitely not the cheapest alternative but I'd wager it's the best one when you consider all factors. You also need to make sure the panel wiring is compatible with the design of the trim ring. Like everything on a boat, it's not as simple as it looks.