Unexpectedly Home

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Sitting here, waiting out the rain in a perfect spot for this weather, anchored in Croton, NY; I suddenly realized that I am home. So strange to have a journey end unexpectedly in the mind instead of the countdown of the ETE Destination on the GPS.

The GPS destination entered in Hampton, VA still lies 70 nm up the river. However, I’m finding that what the old Mainer’s say is true, “If your cat had kittens in the oven…you wouldn’t call ‘em muffins.”

My legal residence and Strider’s homeport are still in Maine but I’m feeling the powerful pull of my cellular memory here on this river. I’m now in love and partnership with a woman who spent her professional life in New York City and grew up just outside but with summers and weekends spent at a family cottage near the head of navigation. Many of my earliest memories are of Manhattan and I spent my first night on the planet outside the hospital less than a mile from Dreameagle’s family cottage.

My summers, as related in an earlier thread, were spent just half a mile from that cottage and the land and cottages I own with my family are still there and the center of my family’s life. When the leaves are off the trees, I can see my father’s study from Dreameagle’s porch. This valley, from the canal to the city, is certainly my homeland and, even though I haven’t sailed it all yet, that would make the Hudson my home waters.

I spent a few days going back and forth between City Island and Port Washington where I met up again with Michael Thurston, mentioned frequently in posts below. I met Drina, namesake of the boat which plans to be going through the Northwest Passage this summer. Drina has already circumnavigated in Drina when she was a pre schooler.

Dreameagle came down for a night so we were reunited right next to the town where she grew up. I ran around the next day into the river and here to Croton. I’ll join her in the city tomorrow and then we’ll return to the boat to move it on up the river Friday.

Saturday or Sunday, Strider will arrive at her new summer slip in Catskill and essentially be laid up except of an occasional daysail while we enjoy life at the lake. These posts will then stop for a while until we leave for a cruise to Maine and back August first.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Oh, yes. I ran Hell Gate at max flow.

I think this place needs a new name:

Bucolic Gate?

Peaceful Passage?

Ho Hum Dyvil?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John Stewart said: "Isn't it amazing that the people we fall in love with live within 25 miles of where we grew up?" Not always true, but sometimes it's just amazing. Nice report, always great to hear from you.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think Hell Gate was immeasurable worse before the gov'mint blew the smithereens out of a large rock in the middle of it. Every time I've been through it's been a tempest in a teapot. But disrespect is never prudent when it comes to maritime issues.

Oh and conrads on the romance!

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
If The Hudson River School of painters did it any justice, that next leg ought to be a beautiful experience. It's on my list!

Enjoy

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md.
Congrats on a successful journey North Roger.
NY state is my fav as well...fair winds my friend

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
I am a devout and unashamed "Salt Water Sailor". However I make an exception for the Hudson River. From my first trip many years ago to my last trip in 2007 it has always relaxed me in a way that no other inland waters do. And there is still so much yet unexplored for me when I eventually get back there. The canal, not so much, but glad I did it once. (On the largest vessel to transit from Oswego to Troy)

Glad you are "Home" Roger.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Wish I knew you were there, I made my sunday weekly trip to Viking Marina, right there by the power plant, I was inside still on the hard workin away. Man it was blowin, boat was shakin on the stands....Red