Underwater Fitting Hose-Clamps .vs. ClampTite

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Can seizing wire used with ClampTite tool be used in that application? Does anyone know of studies on security and strength of that form of connection?

I have read @Maine Sail recommendation for solid band (not perforated band) hose clamps....but interested in a comparison of the two.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
A,

I think you just answered your (not perforated band) original question pal....

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
yes, but is that (non perforated hose clamps) the ONLY available CORRECT solution.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
yes, but is that (non perforated hose clamps) the ONLY available CORRECT solution.
A cheap hardware store clamp will work, but is it the safest? It is not so much about being the correct way, but the safest and most secure way. The problem with slotted clamps is the hose is cut by the slots, that weakens the hose and makes removal more difficult. Seizing wire will have the same issue, too much pressure on too small a surface area. the wire will tend to cut into the hose.

All it takes is one bad encounter with a cheap clamp in a critical location to make you a convert. I found a cheap clamp on the holding tank hose that had rusted through. If it had completely failed, it would not have sunk the boat, but I might have sunk it to clean the bilge of all that sewage. :mad:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
..... Seizing wire will have the same issue, too much pressure on too small a surface area. the wire will tend to cut into the hose......
Thanks DLochner, a good observation on seizing wire. The double wrap seems to help, while pressure is really hard to gage using the tool, so may exacerbate the issue you bring up.

Understood; WILL versus BEST or even APPROPRIATE definitions. Appropriate IMO would be safe and secure over long term, while Best is the gold standard.

another angle,
Is there anyone familiar enough with the ABYC standards for specification on underwater fitting wrt clamps?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have a ClampTite somewhere in my shop. It's a neat tool for an emergency repair but not one I would relay on for long term use. I find that after some time the wires, no matter how you tend to align them cut into the hose and damage it. This cutting action also serves to loosen the original grip. An AWAB or ABA non-perf clamp distributes the pressure over a wider band on the rubber and it can be tightened or removed easily. I carry a 2 spare AWAB clamps in each size in use on our boat. They take up a Zip-Lock sandwich bags worth of space.

Oh and if you've ever used one of these in a tight space...... This is the main reason I have no idea where it even is.... They make it look so easy at the boat shows.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you go with the AWAB or ABA hose clamps, get their nut driver

That's a 7mm hex head. I use my 1/4" socket wrench and an extension if necessary. Tools I already had on the boat. The slotted band kind are usually 5/16", and I usually use one of those 4 in 1 screwdrivers with the larger bit removed. The socket wrench will break the cheap ones before it even feels tight.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... I find that after some time the wires, no matter how you tend to align them cut into the hose and damage it....
This. I've seen them used by a mechanic in a refinery setting, resulting in a rather large spill. The practice was absolutely prohibited, but somehow it slipped through. The wire cut the end of the hose right off.

I don't really see the emergency use. Just stock a few clamps. No heavier than the tool plus wire.