Ultrasonic Hull Protector?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
So I went to the boat show today with no particular shopping list and I found something interesting. There was a device that uses ultrasonic waves to keep marine life from attaching to your hull. It runs on 12 volts, has low current draw and for my 27 foot boat needs 2 transducers according to rep. So my first instinct was to ask this forum if anyone has had any direct experience or knowledge about this device. Do you or anyone you know have this installed on your boat? I anxiously await your responses.
IMG_20171006_155017883.jpg

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
what are they offering as proof of statement?
$500 off show special, good lord what are they asking for it?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
They wanted 1800 for the 2 transducer system. They swear it works as long as you keep it on. No more bottom painting. They dropped Nigel Calder's name as a supporter. That is it. That is why I am asking the forum for input.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
They've been around a while. If it was such a great idea, you'd see a lot of power boats using them (where money isn't an issue). I'm leary about them doing the job.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
These systems, in one form or another, have been around since the 70's, at least. One would think if they had even the slightest benefit they would be OEM on every vessel launched! Or mandatory in places where the environmental regulations are destroying the effectiveness of antifouling paint.
Snake oil indeed!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ultrasonics do clean. So does the running vibrations from my engine and genset.

It is all in the amount of Sonic energy applied to your hull.
Two transducers? Not for my boat size.

Jim...

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Well it looks like the "nays" have it. I was curious to see if anyone actually had one or knew of someone who does.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Something I've not seen addressed with these things: modern studies suggest ultrasonic noise is hazardous to whales. Our military has been in trouble for this. I can't imagine more noise pollution in our waters as anything but a problem.

Ken

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
I don't know, WA wants to clean up Puget Sound - chasing the seal, sea lions and whale out would probably do lots more good than making it a no discharge zone;)

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Then of course there is the Bilge-Dry system to get that extra ounce of water your bilge pump will not get. I was interested until the rep told me the minimum system was $1500. :yikes:

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I work for a company that manufacturers ultrasonic plastic welders. We use water for load testing - putting the test horn in a bucket of water. If you look at the inside of the bucket, over time, calcium gets caked on to the plastic bucket. It also tends to build up on the test horn, but that typically wipes off. The one bad part is that the test horns get pitted from the motion of the water against the horn surface. There is another significant issue. To make the sound waves travel through the material, it has to be resonant. Otherwise the motion will not carry very far. Your plastic boat surface is not going to be resonant. I could see this working on a prop, but it would need to be much greater power - like in the 1000 watt range. Even so, when you finally have enough amplitude to work, it would be prone to inducing cracks in the prop.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Well it looks like the "nays" have it. I was curious to see if anyone actually had one or knew of someone who does.
From a long ago article I read (Popular Science).
The Navy pulled a ship our for bottom paint due to large scale barnacle cover. There was a large area of bottom near a porthole free of any barnacles. They investigated and found that a couple of very young seamen were bunked it that area and kept a radio playing rock all the time. Apparently the vibrations from the continuous music extended to the hull area and made it impossible for barnacles to attach with all that vibration. It was a pretty extensive two page article.

I guess barnacles do not like rock music.

I guess a loud radio playing rock music all the time inside boat will make barnacles sick and leave boat alone. I am going to try it on my sailboat this year. I've got an old radio I can leave inside boat full time. Hopefully it will keep the damn slime off also.