Ultimate Trailer Sailor

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
The rig is finally together. Centerboard on Sunbird opened up, hacked out, and filled with resin encapsulated lead shot. It will now swing up and down in the trunk, and provide a bit of righting. 80# vs 30#!

Built-Rite double deck trailer enables me to carry the Sunbird above the Jeep. Motorcycle will go across trailer on platform in front of the Jeep.

Heading out to Lake Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania tomorrow for some fresh water fun!
20160820_155136.jpg
20160820_155118.jpg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I recommend taking the jeep off before backing the boat down the ramp. You might want a tongue extension. You know, just in case you find yourself at a shallow ramp.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I agree with Kermit. You are going to need a 60 foot tongue extension to splash that boat.....where is the motorcycle?

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Love the setup but how in the world do you get the boat and trailer down so you can launch the boat?

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
The trailer has a hydraulic operated upper deck. Remove car, lower the deck with the boat on it's own trailer, shove the boat/trailer off using the loading winch to hold it back. Carries it's own wheel ramps including a "c" channel for the prop wheel. I drove from Forked River NJ to Paxton Nebraska (with a side trip to Rushmore) to pick it up. They do have an option where the boat is on a cradle on the top deck and you dunk the whole trailer. Didn't care for that idea. Once in camp I can trailer the boat to the water. The Built-Rite is robust and relatively light. A hydraulic ram pulls on stainless cables which do the lifting. The cables are terminated with Sta-Locks.

The wheeled deal is a "Trailer Toad". The guy that makes them calls it a trailer hitch extension. It mounts solidly to the motorhome's hitch, has a steering axle, and takes the full tongue weight of the trailer, which I have had as high as 1500 pounds. For my own peace of mind I changed off the original wimpy 5000 pound hitch for one rated for 16,000 pounds. Overall length is 67 feet, plus the stern section of the boat and mast. Right now that's about 6 feet but I could shove the mast forward but if I forget I'll blow out the car rear window. Motorhome, 40', toad 4', trailer 23', overhang 2' to 6'. 69 to 73 foot. Not sure how legal it is, but I've seen motorhome rigs consideally longer.

The missing motorcycle is a 1979 Yamaha SR 500 thumper. I'm doing tires, chain and sprockets, front master cylinder and a few other odds and ends. I'll have it ready for the winter trip to warmer weather. This whole rig is about getting out of the cold and having all my toys along. Just my luck my girlfriend prefers cooler weather. I just have to figure out how to realign her thinking.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ingenious trailer but with the mast on top of the boat, at the highest point what is the height from the road. Legal at 13 ft 6 Inches max but there are many low lying bridges that you have to be careful of not to mention overhangs at gas stations. I have also seen in some states they mark the height but forget to address it when more asphalt is laid when going under a bridge. As for length, you are correct that you may be over length if past I think 65 feet overall but some states do not really worry about that as they are watching the tractor trailers and look at you what the heck is that. If you were an RV pulling a car on trailer and then boat on trailer, no question you will be pulled over. Saw that in VA, SC, NC, GA and other states over my years of towing with two towed vehicles behind RV. It is up to the individual state laws. However, caution is urged as if you are in an accident, then liability will rest with whom ever is liable if not both.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I can't stop thinking about it... that is seriously sick!
One might say... Living large!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
What? No PWC, ATV, golf cart, beer tap and smoker grill? And you call that a rig? ;)

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Nice set up, how do you have time for all that fun, sight seeing in the jeep, cruising on your bike, sailing, and enjoying cold bevies in your RV.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Really? All that for Lake Wallenpaupack? I used to drive from Clarks Summit to LW towing only a Scorpion 18' on a regular basis in the 70's. What's wrong with Barneget Bay? I used to take my boats there too for week long vacations. Nice rig non-the-less. Have fun where ever you unload!

Mar 12, 2016
Macgregor 26M Local Freshwater Lakes
I would second Kermit's, "Holy Mackerel!" Amazing rig front and back. I may be a little dense but don't quite understand why everyone thinks you need a tongue extension to get the 16 foot Sunbird with a retractable centerboard into the water, unless it is not retractable, but it sure looks like there is no centerboard sticking out the bottom of that boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... I may be a little dense but don't quite understand why everyone thinks you need a tongue extension to get the 16 foot Sunbird with a retractable centerboard into the water, ....
Joke.... you know.... how far would you have to back the RV to float that off the top rack.... frogish humor.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Joke.... you know.... how far would you have to back the RV to float that off the top rack.... frogish humor.
It's hydraulic. That trailer is worth more than my house!

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
I've been thru almost every state in the and have seen alot of stuff but that rig is shockingly amazing! "Forget about it" with a little mafia movie twang.

Mar 12, 2016
Macgregor 26M Local Freshwater Lakes
I was sitting around later and it dawned on me what the joke was. Felt kind of, what is the word for it, "dense", just like I predicted in my own comment. Some groups I would have been crucified. :)...