Ugly, Ugly Sailboats

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
As I gaze at the ads for new sailboats in the sailing magazines (Beneteau, etc.), I’m struck by how ugly they are: triangular boxes with sails.
I can understand the desire for greater hull speed and below decks comfort but at what cost? Most of us sailors, I believe, appreciate the aesthetics of sailboats as well as their performance. Where has that gone? (And don’t get me started on ecru saloon finishes.)
THERE is nothing ...repeat NOTHING like a handmade boat from Maine...If I could, it would be a Hinckley,,,,,

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The problem is if you are sailing, it's beautiful. So there are less beautiful sailboats but heck, if you are out sailing, it's beautiful. I recall going camping with my brother up north in Canada on a remote lake. We were camping on the shore of the lake and we found an old motor boat buried in the mud of the shore line. It was an old plywood speedboat and the whole transom was ripped out. BUT, the mid-section and bow were pretty much intact so I got it set up so I could float it with the weight distributed so the stern was above the water. I cut some tree branches and set up a mast and hung a poncho as a sail and we sailed all over that lake. Now I wish I had pictures, but I don't, it was a long time ago, I think I was about 14. I'm sure that boat could have won the ugly sailboat contest, but, we were sailing, and it was beautiful! ;)

dj

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
I guess it depends on what you like. As a single hander Luddite who hates engines and roller furling my boat choice wouldn't please most folks who enjoy creature comforts. I also believe that except for tillers the sole purpose of wood is to rot.

• Ha

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
As a single hander Luddite who hates engines and roller furling my boat choice wouldn't please most folks who enjoy creature comforts.
On the contrary. We are discussing aesthetics and, as far the Merit 22 goes, it has merit as a sleek and attractive boat :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I haven't really seen an ugly boat posted here, yet.

Somebody has to set the bar:

RAW FAITH was one ugly boat. So poorly conceived and built by an epic narcissist, she was rescued a couple times by the CG after leaving the port of Rockland Maine.

She was put under house arrest to stay in the harbor until she could complete one tack, under her own power...

Finally, on a windy day, she was able to jibe going downwind (I think). That free'd her (CG was so tired of babysitting the boat), and she headed down the coast.

She sunk a few hundred miles downwind. The captain and crew were rescued, for the last time.

RIP, poor tub.
Raw Faith 10:25:09 2.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
.....and I still don’t like square windows in the side of a boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
@TomY We saw that thing several years ago while visiting Portland and sailing with former forum member Roger Long.. Roger, being a naval architect, had some interesting words about the boat.. like that it was completely made of pallet scrap wood.. and yes, it was not as nice looking as your picture..
P1000760.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I haven't really seen an ugly boat posted here, yet.
I took this shot at a marina where I used to berth my boat.

2016-11-27 16.49.58.jpg
at a marina where I used to berth my boat.