Ugliest Production Sailboat thread

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
after alden sold the company to the employees. they were aware of the new method of using fiberglass. they went to halmatic in england and had a number of models made in fiberglass, just the hulls. those hulls then were sent to a number of yards to finish. 100's of these hulla were made. my hull was sent to moloch yard in denmark and had the interior and deck and rig put on.

i would call such a 'production boat'. aeolus is a moloch finished vessel. they were know for their wood working. all the lumber came from one tree trunk so the grains would match through out. a "one tree" interior. the lumber was the best of the best. all old growth trees. this lumber now longer is available. sitka booms.

aeolus is a "camper" not a "condo". very easy to maintain due to few electronics. you condo boys seem to have way more maintainence than i do. the varnish is much less work than modern electronics vessels, or so it seems on the forum.

to the rude crew that looks at the varnish with dismay, i look them straight in the eye and say "the varnish is not much work at all", "all you have to do is sign the check"

.... and so it goes.

my father always did his own varnish. i helped him a lot as a young pup. i got to sail a lot as well.
the key is to shove of the dock and set the sails as much as you can, i think. it's all about the sailing.

jon:cool:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for that history Jon. I was thinking that they are a design of which there were builds of a single boat at a time. It sounds like they are a bit of a hybrid of single boat building and production. No matter. I've never seen an ugly one.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Had a new one of these docked next to me back in 1979/80.. The owner was an airline pilot and used to regularly hit other boats and docks and stuff when he was coming in or leaving.. I swore to myself that if I ever boarded an airliner and saw him in the cockpit, I was going to get off that plane! Beauty is in the beholder's eye, I guess.. My wife told me that I drove one of the ugliest cars.. a great PT Cruiser that I owned for 14 years..
Restoring an Abandoned Bayliner Buccaneer 240 Sailboat - YouTube

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Lots of windage, puny sail area... so probably a sailing pig too, neither weatherly nor fast. Yup, she's ticking the wrong boxes.
Ask the other folks on our pond if ours is slow. We bought the boat for maximum space below in a boat we could trailer anywhere. Wasn't expecting it to sail as well as it does. Oh yea, to top it off we have an Atomic 4. The 8.0C is a thing of beauty especially with my lovely wife at the helm.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The SCAMP. Visit the NWMaritime Center in Port Townsend and you will find the production center for what is described as a "Build your own at Home" boat. The Scamp is sturdy wooden craft that has attempted the Race to Alaska. It will get you out on the water. You can join the designers at the Center and build your own in 10 days, ready to take home and finish putting on your chosen bling. Moderately priced It accomplishes those lofty goals.

Pretty, is not what I see, even though the Scamp has been dressed up in many ways.
1611678175203.png

1611678198683.png

1611678262020.png