Ugliest Production Sailboat thread

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1611591255735.png

i have heard 100's of times to my face that they of opinion would never ever own a boat with that much varnish and with an open pore wood deck.
so public opinion is in. i have a very ugly boat. it is much hated by most.
i like my ugly duckling.
i think those, and there have been 100's over the years, that say such are just mean.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
View attachment 189556

i have heard 100's of times to my face that they of opinion would never ever own a boat with that much varnish and with an open pore wood deck.
i like my ugly duckling.
i think those, and there have been 100's over the years, that say such are just mean.
It is obvious that those 100s have no understanding of design or have a eye for it. Your craft my friend is a work of art.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
View attachment 189556

i like my ugly duckling.
Jon, do not confuse the beauty of the vessel with maintenance of the vessel. You have a beautiful boat and I'm glad there are folks who have boats like yours and @TomY's boats. They are in deed a delight to see on a mooring or while sailing.

However, there is an ugly amount of work required to keep them in prime condition. ;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
View attachment 189556

i like my ugly duckling.
The thing about varnish is that a good job need only be done once, if you are cruising and sailing a lot, and don't wish to work on it for a few years. After getting your 6 to 10 coats on the wood, varnish takes and holds paint very well. There used to be a spar buff color that was a good coating for varnish.
Then, when you wish to bring the varnish back, simply scrape the paint off the varnish, sand and lay on a couple of coats and you have your varnish back.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Your sample size is too small, or the question you ask them is not phrased well.

The real beauties of the world usually need more maintenance.

For proof, compare how long it takes for me to get ready to go out on the.town vs most females. Any guess which one is nicer looking ? :biggrin:

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
This thread brings to mind two ideas: "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder." and "I have Champagne tastes and a beer pocketbook."

I don't think I have ever wanted to own a sailboat that I didn't think looked beautiful or at least nice. I also owned several boats that required more work than expected to keep them looking beautiful or nice. Finally, there are some boats to which I can not "warm up". That is probably a fault of mine rather than the fault of the boat or its designer.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I have one in mind. Just in case though, I searched the SBO site to see if anybody owns one. Ha! Sure enough a couple of visiting owners came up. :)

They may be long gone,...but I'm not stupid.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
View attachment 189556

i like my ugly duckling.
Way to humblebrag lol. That's a beautiful boat and everyone knows it. The complaint about your boat is the same as guys who warn against marrying a beautiful woman, and with the same fear: not being able to keep her!

Jan 11, 2014
Ugly boats come in three categories, ugly right off the designer's desk (the 70s were good era for those boats), boats made ugly by owners, and boats that might have been been passable however due to neglect have fallen into such disrepair they are now ugly.

An internet search for "ugly sailboat images" will yield some interesting interpretations of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is at least one "ugly boat" thread over on Sailing Anarchy. The posters there do not seem to be bound by the same social sensibilities possessed by Tom. :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tom, the original owner of the concordia yawl 'misty' was on scaffolding varnishing the toe rail. age 80. had a heart attack and fell to his death. you be careful tom.
his son, a friend, took over and campaigned her for many more years. was very hard to beat on the race course. the son, like me, took over the family yacht. and kept right on sailing.

i think misty is in maine now. it's where all the pretty girls go eventually.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
tom, the original owner of the concordia yawl 'misty' was on scaffolding varnishing the toe rail. age 80. had a heart attack and fell to his death. you be careful tom.
his son, a friend, took over and campaigned her for many more years. was very hard to beat on the race course. the son, like me, took over the family yacht. and kept right on sailing.

i think misty is in maine now. it's where all the pretty girls go eventually.
[/QU
Ugly boats come in three categories, ugly right off the designer's desk (the 70s were good era for those boats), boats made ugly by owners, and boats that might have been been passable however due to neglect have fallen into such disrepair they are now ugly.

An internet search for "ugly sailboat images" will yield some interesting interpretations of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is at least one "ugly boat" thread over on Sailing Anarchy. The posters there do not seem to be bound by the same social sensibilities possessed by Tom. :)

Oh I'd post it over there, Dave. But I'm not Tom Young, over there. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Oh I'd post it over there, Dave. But I'm not Tom Young, over there.
Take it from a psychologist, sometimes it is good to have an alter ego. ;)

Dave, varnishing lowers my blood pressure. :) On the other hand, watching a guy try to buff out aged out gelcoat, depresses me.
I have a love/hate relationship with varnish. Love to look at it and admire it, hate to get started. However once I start I want to keep going. Right now I have one project that is very close to being finished. Was interrupted and got side tracked. Oh well.

IMG_0087 (1).jpeg