U Bolt chainplate connections

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Any of you guys ever located a replacement source for your U-bolts that you connect your standing rigging (shrouds) to the chain plates? I don't see on Rudy's website that he carries them. Best I can tell they are a custom made part either a forging or a casting? I was re-bedding mine with butyl tape and one of them I had trouble getting the nut off as it galled the material. I was able to find a die at a local hardware store and chase the thread, so it is OK and back in service. Another one has slight signs of crevice corrosion so replacing it seems in order. A simple fitting could be machined as a replacement held down by two shoulder bolts through the deck but as a custom order it would be expensive to just make a couple. Anyone already solved this problem?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dave, IIRC Catalina Direct sells a Catalina 27 chainplate retrofit kit which includes U bolts, perhaps, maybe, could be something that may fit your boat, I don't know for sure. Alternatively, I am sure that there are metalworking shops in your neck of the woods, and they don't have to be "marine" oriented, and I'd guess they'd be a good source to make a replacement part if you bring them the old one. Copying stuff is right up their alley. Good on you for doing that maintenance, so often skippers neglect the routine maintenance that is required for chainplates, and then wonder why it's wet down below! :) Good luck.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Rig Right has them, and they will charge a fortune for them...
Indeed they do! But here's another alternative to consider:

Last December I re-rigged my Ericson 26-2. I had the mast dropped and LP'd, replaced all the standing rigging, and pulled all the shroud attachments, chain plates, etc. for inspection. The Navtec U-bolts looked dicey and so I wanted to replace them. I did check into the Catalina 27 kit, which is made by Garhauer here in Southern California, but unfortunately the size was off by just a bit. So Garhauer made me a new set using one of the old ones as a pattern. The cost was very reasonable. Rig Rite wanted (are you sitting down?) $215 apiece for the original Navtec U-bolts! Garhauer made mine custom for $30/U-bolt! So I was able to replace all 6 for about the cost of one of the ones from Rig Rite!

If by some chance your boat used the same size as mine, they actually made a few extras and would have them on hand. (I'm guessing they will be too small for your O'Day 35.)

Good luck!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Great Idea

Alan, that's a superb idea. One of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. Garhauer does great work, much of it beyond what shows in their catalog. Bill, Mark or Guido will help you out, give 'em a call.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thanks for the pointer to Rig Rite. I never thought to look there. They are always pricey because they seem to be the only source for a lot of items and volumes I am sure are low for a lot of them. They note on their website that the original forged u-bolts were susceptible to stress corrosion and they now offer a fully machined replacement. It looks like they must machine them from bar stock then bend them to get the correct center distance between the legs. I've got mine back installed but will think about buying these in the future next time I pull the mast. They don't show prices on the website but if they wanted 215 for the smaller ones the 1/2 inch models are likely more expensive. When a company is gouging the market it is an opportunity for a competitor to step in and beat them on price. Might be tough to develop the supply chain though. Thanks again.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Talked to Rudy a while back and he clued me in to Rig Rite. Almost fainted at the price for a new mast head toggle but bought it anyway. They provided most of the stuff for Oday. Having my mast, boom and spreaders reanodized and powder coated at Charleston Spar was about a third the price including 1300 bucks shipping of new from Rig Rite.