Typical compass replacement for Hunter 23

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
I am considering replacing the bulkhead compass in my 1987 Hunter.
What have other compasses have folks tried, since the compass with our model is no longer available?

Many modifications to make the replacement compass fit?

Or should I try to send it in to get refurbished?

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
Try ebay. There are hundreds of choices. I purchased a new Ritchie bulkhead compass at auction for $14 and a rebuilt 6 inch binacle for $165.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I am considering replacing the bulkhead compass in my 1987 Hunter.
What have other compasses have folks tried, since the compass with our model is no longer available?

Many modifications to make the replacement compass fit?

Or should I try to send it in to get refurbished?
If it’s mounted the way i think it is, you’ll have a hard time finding a new one for your hole. I found a used one from somewhere in the Midwest. I’m doing my best to remember the dealer. I’ll post his contact info if I can find it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On a different tack, I would say get rid of the bulkhead mounted compass and put a digital one on the mast where you can see it - big numbers too! Someone is always sitting in front of the bulkhead mounted (Any instrument) and makes it hard to use. Plus eyes out of the cockpit is a plus. The pedestal mounted instruments are good for the helmsman but not so much for the crew.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
On a different tack, I would say get rid of the bulkhead mounted compass and put a digital one on the mast where you can see it - big numbers too! Someone is always sitting in front of the bulkhead mounted (Any instrument) and makes it hard to use. Plus eyes out of the cockpit is a plus. The pedestal mounted instruments are good for the helmsman but not so much for the crew.
Here’s my favorite choice for a replacement compass.
AFE6F1BF-F3B9-4227-B865-CCE1C4FFC07E.jpeg

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
Finally got a picture of the Suunto. Looks like the Richie Venture SR2 is a little bit bigger bulkhead hole and the Plastimo mini compass is smaller than the present bulkhead hole. I guess the blue light of the Richie is ok.

Attachments

Tom L

Jun 24, 2004
Hunter 23.5 & 29.5 Baltimore, MD
I recommend rebuild either by sending it to Viking or buying the parts from them and doing it yourself. I did the later. The diaphragm on my pedestal Compass had completely melted. I bought a new one from Viking plus a few other parts such as a new O-ring. Cleaned it real good with acetone and refilled it with odorless mineral spirits. Don't bother with Compass fluid, odorless mineral spirits are just fine and cheaper at The hardware store. Had one small air bubble that went away by itself after a year.

One advantage to having Viking rebuild it is that they will probably realign and calibrate it. Plus it is easier. I just like doing things myself.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
After this thread I had a bubble in the compass mounted on my boat. I used paint thinner for the fluid which is almost entirely mineral spirits - and anyway I needed to buy a 1/2 gallon or so of it and I only needed an ounce of fluid.
Now my hand held Weems & Plath has a bubble. I sent it to an authorized W&P repair place and was told you can't repair a handheld. I told them to send it back. In ten minutes with the right light I found a refill tube and how to remove the protective cover. There is an access screw and I expect I can add oil through it. But - the black sealant or 0-ring has turned to goo. Can anyone suggest a material and/or source for sealant or o-rings which will not be soluble in mineral spirits?