Type of outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchmd1

Apr 22, 2012
hunter 17 hoover reserviour
Hi Just bought a Hunter 17 and need to get outboard motor. What do people suggest? Has anyone used an electric or propane motor?

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Do you mean a 170? If so a 2Hp should do it in protected waters. I was looking at the Honda as it is air cooled. No pump to go wrong.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
I use two, one electric and one Gas. I have a Suzuki 2.5 which is a four stroke and is very good to push the 170 around most inland lakes. According to Hunter, 2.5 HP is max for the 170. The electric I have is a Bill Dance 45 which is great for small ponds with no wind. If the wind is up, it is fairly worthless. I am thinking about a larger electric motor for those "electric only" lakes.

But there is an alternative: you may consider a TORQEEDO Travel 1003 Electric Outboard either long or short shaft. The folks at West Marine assured me that it was as good as a 2.5 HP outboard or maybe better. It is a selfcontained (battry and all) unit which comes apart for easier transportation. The downside, for me, is that it will set you back $2k! I paid $700 for my Suzuki but then again, I still have to use two different motors.... you pays your money and you takes your choice.

lokiii

Apr 12, 2010
Hunter 170 SLO
I've had no issues. Honestly, I rarely use it. They say it can come out of the water if there are large bow/stern waves. I haven't used it in waves large enough for that. Most of the time I use it for low wind situations, and sometimes to get in and out of a difficult docking situation. I've heard long has more drag, but I doubt it's much, and you're not excactly speeding along anyway. I think I may have benifited from a short in having to get off a lee shore--basically push off and try to motor away before being blown back into shore. Shorter shaft less likely to hit bottom. Other factors--I'm heavy and generally sit neer the motor when using it, probably pushing it down further into the water. Also, it will drag a bit in the water when heeled, with the shaft pointed down a bit when it is in the up position. Longer shaft may drag a bit more.

I'm not sure if I'll sail this weekend--it's looking like wind may be exessive. I have the boat in a storage yard, but if I take it out I'll take a picture of it (if I remember) and it may help you determine what is best for you. Hope that helps!

Tim

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Thanks for that info. Love to see a photo if not too much trouble.
Cheers!

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
You don't ever think you should have bought the long shaft model?
I'm just joining in on the discussion. I have the short shaft Honda 2 HP and it's fine on my 170. Since I only use it to maneuver off and on my buoy, a tank of gas lasts most of the year.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer and one who outsold the other dealers on the Hunter 170, I used the the Honda 2 hp short shaft. What many fail to know is when you are in the back, the boat water line is lowered due to added wieght. As a result the honda 2 hp is a good choice. When using the long shaft, extra caution to lifting it up when putting the boat on the trailer is suggested.

If you are going to go with a electric motor, the cost and weight are much higher not to mention the maintenace. If using a trolling motor, then placement of the battery and securing it is another issue. I was able to figure that out as well.

As for any gas engine, if you can find gas without ethanol, pay the extra and use that; otherwise ethanol (corn cow pie) is not good and you can buy stuff to break that down but the best way is to always run the gas out of the carburetor in all gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.