Two Years Before The Mast ...

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
To Live is a great movie about the Chinese revolution, and the Cultural Revolution that followed. A truly amazing movie, from Hong Kong or Taiwan I am sure. Watch it, you will learn much about China's modern history. It's also a very entertaining story.

Thanks for the recommendation for Two Years Before The Mast. I have downloaded the PDF and will read it one day.

Speaking of sailing books, I wanted to recommend a couple of solid ones I've read recently.

New-ish book (relatively speaking) - Lee Shore Blues by Peter Heiberg. It's about him, his original Bristol Channel pilot cutter Carlotta, and his days/life working on the seas (not all in Carlotta). VERY entertaining, perhaps a bit salty for some (the subtitle is Sex, Drugs and Bluewater Sailing). It is not obsessive about the topics in the subtitle except the bluewater sailing part. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it was a fantastic read. Probably my favorite book that I've read in a while, fiction included.

One thing I enjoyed about the book was its bibliography. He had some great books in there, several of which I subsequently purchased. Things like the Slocum book (have it on the shelf now), the Hiscock book(s), Sail and Rig tuning (an illustrated no-B.S. handy little book), and another one I'd like to recommend:

Ocean Voyaging by David Parker. What a great read this turned out to be! It was published just before my birth, in the early 1970s, and I was truly astounded to realize that he sailed out of Marina Del Rey (Los Angeles, CA) when he wrote the book. Many references to Southern California sailing - fairly rare in sailing books in my very limited experience. Good stuff!

Finally I read a great book called Voyaging on a Small Income by Annie Hill.

Each of these books taught me something - many things - about sailing, sailboats, boats, weather, provisioning, hardware, attitude and mental resolve, and just minutia of sailing and boat handling.

Many of these books were purchased secondhand either through Amazon or at places (for the SoCal folks) like Kelly Marine in San Pedro or Minnie's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa. Both Kelly Marine and Minney's have a great stock of used books, but Minnie's takes the cake with a library-esque collection. I found a great reference there, published by the North Sails folks, called Weather for Sailors. Now that is a deep dive on weather patterns and phenomena, and it is a modern book.

As you were ... :D

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
An interesting, if somewhat dubious, comparison.:doh: For kicks, you might watch the Canadian film The Red
Violin
which, deep in the film, offers a sobering depiction of the fate of Chinese "intellectuals" of that period. It's a good film otherwise as well, although it does have some "slow" parts.
Oh wow, The Red Violin! haven't heard much reflection on that movie ever but it's one of my all time favorites. I love the way they show different visual perspectives of the same scene. Really well done movie. Cool to see it referenced!!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
I'm guessing I saw you on the way to the last mark. I saw three catalinas sailing wing and wing headed DDW.
If you ever need crew, PM me.
We were crewing on another boat, not our Catalina, but know all those Catalina's, they were all non spin. Not sure their course took them to Whistle, if not, they were luckier than most. It was terrible up there!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
New-ish book (relatively speaking) - Lee Shore Blues by Peter Heiberg. It's about him, his original Bristol Channel pilot cutter Carlotta, and his days/life working on the seas (not all in Carlotta). VERY entertaining, perhaps a bit salty for some (the subtitle is Sex, Drugs and Bluewater Sailing). It is not obsessive about the topics in the subtitle except the bluewater sailing part. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it was a fantastic read. Probably my favorite book that I've read in a while, fiction included.
I just received my copy of Lee Shores Blues! Excited to start it!! Thanks everyone for so many great recommendations.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... So many of the phases and nautical components are still incomprehensible to me. It's funny how Dana makes the same basic comment early in his narrative. What would be a good source for descriptions?
I imagine you've found this by now but I just ran across it today when I was tired of not understanding the mechanics of sail handling in my re-reading the book.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So I've finished re-reading Dana's book the 1911 edition. In the end I have to admit that he was popular among his shipmates and that says more about him than anything I can say.
It is clear to me that I never finished the book the first time around. I think I quit sometime in the carrying hides section. This time around I had a hard time reconciling the solitude of the California coast in the 1830's with what must have a thriving area by pre-civil war times. Evidently there was explosive growth of the coast between Dana's first seeing the coast and his return thirty six years later as evidenced by his own comparison.
I found it interesting that Dana so loathed the experience that shaped his life in so many ways and yet he remembers it with appreciation later in life. Maybe that's a lesson for us.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So..... I've got this 1911 edition of Two Years Before the Mast. It is inscribed as a Christmas present for 1911. It's in pretty rough shape and I'm told it would take hundreds of dollars to restore. I'm not going to restore it. I will however mail to anyone who would want it to read or to collect. You pay postage. First response gets it.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
This time around I had a hard time reconciling the solitude of the California coast in the 1830's with what must have a thriving area by pre-civil war times. Evidently there was explosive growth of the coast between Dana's first seeing the coast and his return thirty six years later as evidenced by his own comparison.
Wasn't the Gold Rush around 1849?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
fun fact: more money was made by cutting the virgin forests around the great lakes than all the gold rushes combined