Two sides to 3jh3e engine coolant pump?

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Good morning all,
I'm hoping for confirmation that my Yanmar 3jh3e freshwater/coolant pump actually has two parallel loops/sides: 1) an engine coolant side, and 2) a "domestic hot water" side. (I completely understand there is a RAW water loop, with it's own pump, that goes to the heat exchanger mounted on top of the engine--that is not at all what I'm talking about.)
Background: I'd like to do a have been working on deferred maintenance on my 2001 Hunter 380 and am coming to the periotic antifreeze flush (no idea if it's ever-ever been done). The engine has a typical expansion reservoir with red/pink coolant ) going to the radiator cap on top of the engine. However, the "domestic" hot water tank, which heats with the engine, has green glycol with an expansion tank in the aft SB locker, where a Espar heater once lived (I presume that the Espar also once heated the domestic water). The domestic loop has 3/4" hoses in and out of the engine coolant pump (about 10 o'clock if viewing from the front). Other than the obvious raw/seawater exchanger on the port side, I don't see a heat exchanger, anywhere.
Where is the "domestic" hot water tank/green-glycol getting it's heat from? Does the engine's freshwater coolant pump really drive two parallel systems? Thank you all for your patience! j

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Normally the engine coolant also runs through the water heater coil to heat the drinking water.

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Normally the engine coolant also runs through the water heater coil to heat the drinking water.
Yep, I was expecting just one coolant loop that was combined engine and domestic hot water, but the two different colors of glycol suggest two completely different loops driven by the same (or different?) pump.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I would be curious to see photos of the engine and pump

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am no expert on Yanmar engines (except maybe my 2GM20F).

i have not heard of a Yanmar with 2 separate loops for engine cooling and hot water heating. As @JoeWhite said, normally 1 system that does both Jobs.

Greg

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
Thank you all for your skepticism--it encouraged me to dig a deeper. I traced each line fully and finally found the "summer" valve, deep under the floor-boards that keeps the hydronic heater loop isolated. That loop had been filled with green. Every thing is flushed and replaced. It is all just one loop.

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you all for your skepticism--it encouraged me to dig a deeper. I traced each line fully and finally found the "summer" valve, deep under the floor-boards that keeps the hydronic heater loop isolated. That loop had been filled with green. Every thing is flushed and replaced. It is all just one loop.
That’s good.

what is a “summer valve”? What does it do?

Gref

Jun 22, 2012
Hunter 380 Seattle
It is a set of valves that isolates the hydronic cabin radiators from the domestic water loop, so you can have hot water for your bath without having warm cabin radiators in the heat of summer. Turns out mine is just a crazy warren/maze of loops that continues to cause head scratching.

Jan 7, 2011
It is a set of valves that isolates the hydronic cabin radiators from the domestic water loop, so you can have hot water for your bath without having warm cabin radiators in the heat of summer. Turns out mine is just a crazy warren/maze of loops that continues to cause head scratching.
Ah…thanks, that makes sense.

Greg