Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
1)Has anyone installed grabrails outside on either side of the companionway? I noticed my daughter trying to hold on to the winches whilst either sitting or standing there (even though there is foot support in that particular narrow spot of the cockpit), when the boat is heeled in a rough sea.
Would 1/4” self tapping screws be strong enough? The port side does not lend itself to thru bolting.

2) Where do folks park their Spinnaker halyard when not in use? Mine, being belayed on the block leading the halyard up the mast slams into the spreaders in strong winds, making quite a racket, even though being tied off to one of the shrouds. I noticed that many boats have theirs shackled to the pulpit side. However, this would mean relocating it before unfurling the jib. I know of one boatie who forgot to do this, turning the event into quite an adventure.
Shackling it to the foremost section of the pulpit rail would overcome this problem, but the line would then probably chafe into the forestay/furled or unfurled jib?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
2nd Question

I hook my spinnaker halyard to the pole ring I mounted on the front of my mast. Usually do not have a problem with it making noise.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Re: 2nd Question

I attach my spin halyard to the front of the bow pulpit, and it works out fine if I keep it tight. The only time you will have a problem with furling/unfurling entanglement is if you let it go slack, it will tangle almost every time. I store my second jib halyard (actually used for pole topping lift) clipped to the base of the lower shroud on the stbd side. I flip the halyard behind the spreader tip, and this keeps it from flogging against the mast. I attach the main halyard to the fairlead clip above the cam cleat on the traveler and this is quiet as well.
No experience with installing grab rails, but I would personally be wary of self tapping screws

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I would personally be wary of self tapping screws

Agreed. People were using my dodger frame as a handrail and it didn't take long to work itself out. Guys on one of my other posts about the frame were suggesting the through bolting...but apparently that's not an option. Is your daughter a young child or a bigger kid and whereabouts is she standing/sitting? I'm trying to picture where you want to put the rails but am not sure exactly where you're talking about. Like on the cabin-top parallel with the companionway slider?

My spinnaker halyard is on a shroud cleat and it never makes noise.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks, gpd955. I like the shroud fastener. Haven’t seen that product locally, but shall investigate – otherwise order from West Marine.

The red ovals on the attached photo show the location of the grabrails I am considering. I am also nervous about self tapping screws, especially as I don’t know what material is behind the outer F/G. Whilst my daughter is only a flyweight lady, some other guest weighing a lot more may hang onto it.

Attachments

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I use a Padeye in front of the mast to attach the spinnaker

Hi Albanach: I am also wary of grab rails with self-tapping screws. People (lightweights and heavyweights) will grab on anything they can find when off-balance. On the spinnaker halyard, I mounted a folding padeye in front of the mast - three possible uses: the spinnaker halyard is fastened there, it doubles as a harness attachment point and I can mount a block there for spinnaker dousing. I have only used it for the first item. See attached picture if you can enlarge it.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2009
Re: How about this?

Thanks, rpwillia. Had a good suggestion from Paulj re attachment to s/s washboard brackets. Could use the locally available s/s GRs there. Just evaluating if the brackets's screws would provide strong enough anchorage.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
If PaulJ Said It ...

Thanks, rpwillia. Had a good suggestion from Paulj re attachment to s/s washboard brackets. Could use the locally available s/s GRs there. Just evaluating if the brackets's screws would provide strong enough anchorage.
I believe it and that settles it! Actually that is a pretty good idea. I would think those screws should be strong enough. One thought would be to take those metal boards off, drill the holes and screw those handrails in from the back and then re-install.

Jul 1, 2009
"One thought would be to take those metal boards off, drill the holes and screw those handrails in from the back and then re-install."[/quote]

Those were my thoughts too - thanks again.

Jul 1, 2009
Grab Rails

Thanks again, paulj, for your idea. Attached the completed project. Was good timing too, as the screws' sealing had deteriorated (and they all seem to be screwed into the wood core behind the few mm of f/g. The re-fixing with sikaflex has also given it extra strength – not only as a hold, but also against thieves.

As an aside, our local waterpolice mentioned that the latter seemed to be targeting Beneteaus here, as they are apparently easier to break into.

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Albanach
Handles look top drawer.

I fell once on steps and after I installed this..... haven't fallen since on the steps.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.