Two Questions about the S25

Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
1) The through hull for the rudder post has started leaking around the top and draining eventually to the bilge. Water gathers in the back of the seating area when it rains so this is becoming a hassle. Any suggestions for an inexpensive repair? I was thinking of "gooping" a teflon ring to the seat and another one on top of that. Essentially stacking two 6" rings .125 thick with the bottom one stuck down to seal. (Prolly use PTFE... but wonder if any goop would actually stick to it.) Thanks for any better ideas

2) The attitude of the boom on my 79 S25 just seems weird. It slants down. The distance between the mast and the rear stay isn't enough for the boom to be level. It sails... but just wondered if that is normal. Cannot rake the mast any further back without causing buckling on the deck (not a good thing). Thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for advice.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
as for the rudder post does it not have a packing/stuffing box with flax packing ...if it does you may need to tighten it up or replace the packing

as for the boom you need to check and see it that is the original boom for your boat ...someone may have replaced it with something that is too large but dont take my word for it do some research on your boat and find the specs

Apr 3, 2007
The "Through hull" Has no packing box.

Its just a pipe that is affixed through the hull and above through the seat. The rudder post slides through.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
As for the boom, it seems to me the attitude of how it slants down has to do with the cut of the mainsail. Like the leech might be too long. I used to own a S-25 and had a loose footed main. Trying to think what or how the tube for the rudder was situated. My guess is that tube is cracked at the top which lets the water in. Time to crawl down in there and take a peek.

Apr 3, 2007
As for the boom, it seems to me the attitude of how it slants down has to do with the cut of the mainsail. Like the leech might be too long. I used to own a S-25 and had a loose footed main. Trying to think what or how the tube for the rudder was situated. My guess is that tube is cracked at the top which lets the water in. Time to crawl down in there and take a peek.
Thanks Bill. I crawled down there yesterday. It appears that the junction at the top of the pipe with the seat has developed cracks. I am trying to find a good way to fix that.

As for the boom. Its not the sail. If the boom is level, the end of it would strike the back stay.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Sounds like the boom was changed. Does the sail go all the way to the end of the boom?

Measure sail with specs, to be certain it is cut correctly.