two-part teak cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In hope of saving some time doing the research, I am hoping someone know this off the top of their head -
what are the components of the cleaner in the two-part packages sold at marine stores?

And no, I am not looking to do maintenance on the boat. We made the mistake of buying teak outdoor furniture and I want to bring it back. Typical oxalic acid, bleach, etc.. isn't doing the job properly.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I just used Starbrite product cleaner then brightener and it came out great

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Part #1 is usually TriSodiumPhosphate- TSP but any good 'caustic' will do - Sodium Silicate based detergent, lye soap, etc.

Part #2 is usually oxalic acid ... you have to caustic etch away the grey with part #1 before you 'bleach' with oxalic. Part #2 can be simple SodiumHypoChlorite (Clorox) but doesnt work as well as oxalic.

Both TSP and Oxalic are becoming hard to get in many metro areas.
Dont use the 'substitute' stuff ... only real TSP & Oxalic.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I use Starbright (like RAD does) and have been extremely happy with the result. Starbright does have a teak cleaner but I haven't used it. I use the Starbright non-skid deck cleaner. Every spring I clean my cabin top with the stuff and let the excess run off on the teak deck. I then scrub the deck and rinse. The result is all the dirt and grime runs off the deck and the beautiful honey teak color shines through. It's a great look. It should work on home teak furniture and I'm looking to do the same.

If you want to try a home solution you can use white vinegar which is acidic. It might smell like vinegar for a short while but it's a mild acid that could be used to put on teak furniture and scrubbed. I hadn't tried it but it was just featured as a home teak furniture cleaner in an article I read a couple weeks ago.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Do you know the ratio suggested to dilute the white vinegar? Or does it go on straight? I have two outdoor teak tables and 12 chairs. A lot more teak on the patio than on the boat lol.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
I like the look of teak after using two part cleaners however they do shorten the life of the wood. It eats away with the soft portion of the wood grain and if you use the stuff too often you will be sanding so it smooth again. I might suggest you just give it a weekly wash with any old deck soap or salt brine solution and scrub it cross grain with a worn 3M pad. Last year I sanded off the Cetol and then do the weekly light scrub and looks great.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Don: I use the Amazon One-Step cleaner and brightener. Make sure you leave it on to work it's magic before scrubbing and rinsing as per the directions. Works like a charm.

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys. I hesitate to use the typical 2 part cleaners because the amount of teak furniture (large table, lounge chairs, deck chairs, coffee table, etc... would require lots of money compared with simply buying the components.

Rich gave me the answer I was looking for (TSP as the cleaner) which can be found cheap as well as oxalic acid, both available at the big box stores here.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
my 2 part cleaner is pure straight sea water used with a 3m green pad , which cleans well and brings teak wood to proper coloration, followed by a teak oil product. there is no need to use anything stronger or more pricey than that. i spend 6 hours per YEAR on my teak and is 110 feet in length -- cap and decorative cap. have fun... i also SAIL my boat--have time to do that as i dont waste any time trying to improve on mother natures best cleaner.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
sea water is centuries proven cleaner for teak wood...lol.. why try to improve on a good thing. vinegar is great for innards of boat and for toilets and water tankage and mold kill...salt remover for parts needing less salt. teak needs salt.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don:

I don't know about your part of the country, but the "Dollar Store" sells "LA Totally Awesome" for a buck in a spray bottle. Just spray it on, let it set for several minutes and hose it off. It is amazing (awesome)!

It works equally as well on spider & bird crap. I have no idea what is in it, but it works.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I used a pressure washer on teak furniture and it was much faster and easier than scrubbing with chemicals.

Sep 25, 2008
I don't have a readily available supply of sea water at my house (10 miles inland) where we have the patio furniture.

Bob - acetic acid commonly available is just a much weaker acid than oxalic and might work on teak not as heavily weathered as ours.

Scott - I used a low pressure pressure washer last time and I ended up having to sand everything (a 2 day project) I don't want to re-live. There are differences in teak and mine may be softer than yours.

Steve - never heard of it here in FL but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe the chemical engineer in me but I'd prefer to formulate my own to replicate the 2 part cleaners, particularly as I will be needing gallons of the stuff.

Sep 25, 2008
Yup - Dollar Tree. Just got back from running errands and drove past one on the way home. Didn't see your last post until I got home. will check their inventory next time I'm by there. At $1/bottle, it might make sense to buy their entire stock! Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don:

I do not think you will need 10 or 20 cases!! <g>

I sort of watch after the Beneteau 39 that sits next to our Hunter. The seats are teak and they were black (almost could not see the Sikaflex caulk). I sprayed this stuff on the seats after hosing them down. Let it sit for about 5 min. and rinsed off. It was amazing the difference.

I got the tip on this stuff from a prior post on the HOW site. I buy it by the case and give it others so they clean their boats!!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Don:

I don't know about your part of the country, but the "Dollar Store" sells "LA Totally Awesome" for a buck in a spray bottle. Just spray it on, let it set for several minutes and hose it off. It is amazing (awesome)!

It works equally as well on spider & bird crap. I have no idea what is in it, but it works.
you are correct in it being very good for teak...i cleaned my teak with it and am satisfied with the results Steve.....good find.....

regards

woody

Status
Not open for further replies.