Two issues re 2006 Hunter 25: electrical system and steering

Apr 30, 2018
Hunter 25 Manly, Qld
I have owned a 2006 Hunter 25 for one month. The electrical system worked when I took delivery of her, but last week the cabin lights and the navigation equipment wouldn't turn on. The engine started ok. The boat is at a marina and when I plugged in to the marina power the cabin lights worked but the navigation equipment continued to not come on.

Also, I find it difficult to steer at low speeds under power which makes leaving, and particularly entering, the dock a bit of a problem. The engine is a 20 hp yamaha outboard and she has wheel steering.

Can any one offer me any information that might assist with either of the above issues.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Regarding the electric.... check the leads at the battery. If there is any corrosion clean up the leads and see if that fixes things.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
By difficult, do you mean the steering is tight or do you mean the boat is more difficult to maneuver? I'm going to take as the 2nd. As a general rule sailboats do not steer well at slow speeds; having a boat powered by an outboard adds a degree of difficulty as the thrust of the engine is not in the same line as the boat's rudder. The reality is that you do not steer a sailboat like you would a car or a power boat, but just get it into a controlled drift with small steering inputs.. For the rudder to be effective water has to be passing through it which means the boat must be moving. Propeller rotation will induce a stern walk depending in magnitude by the size of the propeller and in direction by the direction of rotation, left or right. Now docking a boat requires a plan to be formulated according to the wind and current and the obstacles encountered at the time of docking. Predict how you boat will react to the wind strength and direction and to any current that may be present so enter a docking situation at a speed and location where a drift will take you close to where you want to end up. If the wind is ahead you may need more engine power if it is behind you less. Approach slow with small and short power inputs. As the boat slows down the steering response will diminish to the point that it would be useless to remain behind the wheel. Hopefully at this point you are close to the dock and in position to fend off or grab a dock cleat with a pole or a line. With practice and knowledge of how the boat reacts you will become proficient in docking but until the take it slow so you do not hit anything hard and don't be embarrassed as even old salts have to fend off other boats from time to time. Watch the conditions as trying to dock in strong winds may require quick and decisive moves with only one chance of success. Whenever possible formulate a backup plan of what you are going to do if the original plan fails. We have all left a boat at a different dock location to come back at a later time with better conditions to place it where it belongs. Sometimes it pays to drop off a crewman elsewhere on a dock to have him walk over and grab a line to pull the boat in. Spring lines can be used to steer a boat when docking but are usually used in foul conditions. In conclusion, you do not steer a boat into the dock you just plan a controlled drift guided by small adjustments of rudder and power. When leaving the dock from a stand still it may be required to gun the engine for an instant just to get the boat moving and acquiring steerage and then gently applying power to move away slowly. A power application may create stern walk or prop walk but remember that an engine in neutral has no walk. You can also seek protection from the wind behind larger already docked boats. Docking takes observation, patience, practice and ingenuity. Docking has been defined as a controlled crash and it really does not matter how you can get the boat to the dock as long as nothing gets damaged with your pride being an exception. Still every once in a while I will put out a performance worthy of a circus act but the secret is to act as if that was what you intended to do.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
H 25 steering. This is a shallow draft keel and starting to backup, there is not enough water flow over the rudder until it kicks in. Suggest using motor with connecting rod to rudder. Without a board to control the boat from slipping, you will need to learn the art of crabbing like airplanes do and coming into a slip pointing into the wind to keep a straight course at slow speed and at the last second steer straight into the slip. Spend time on practicing before sailing.

I strongly suggest getting rid of that 20 hp engine. Too much weight on the transom particularly when transporting. The transom is rated only up to 10 hp and you will find even at 9.9 hp you will be plowing. In addition I fear using full speed on a 20 hp will damage the transom. Suggest getting appropriate engine for the boat.

As for electrical. First follow rgranger’s suggestions. Then check out the panel for fuses and if necessary pull the panel to see if any corrosion or loose connections

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I was shocked at the directional control when I first got my H260. After upgrading to a high thrust 9.9 Yamaha, the boat now has reverse but the prop walk is even worse. I think it's not really prop walk its having the engine thrust so far out on the starboard side .
Forward always starts with a turn to port and reverse pulls the stern to port also.
The hull could really use some Chines . It's nothing like docking a powerboat, so plan ahead . I have a ez steer Rod . 1.5 -2 knots will give you steerage . Have a few extra fenders and a boat hook handy . And if the dock allows have a go around route .

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I was shocked at the directional control when I first got my H260. After upgrading to a high thrust 9.9 Yamaha, the boat now has reverse but the prop walk is even worse. I think it's not really prop walk its having the engine thrust so far out on the starboard side .
Forward always starts with a turn to port and reverse pulls the stern to port also.
The hull could really use some Chines . It's nothing like docking a powerboat, so plan ahead . I have a ez steer Rod . 1.5 -2 knots will give you steerage . Have a few extra fenders and a boat hook handy . And if the dock allows have a go around route .
I noticed the same thing with my H26. My old Mercury 15 and new Tohatsu 9.9, both required the slight turn to port. If I want to power along in a straight line, I have to turn the motor slightly to port, so my rudder will not require compensation to go in straight line. I think you are right about the affect of the motor being on the starboard side of the transom.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Even with the larger boats with in line diesels have the same prop walk. A little practice developing your skills will help tremendously to you advantsge

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I’ve sailed many larger boats and can say that prop walk is different that the H260/26’s starboard mounted engine on a hull with a wide flat shallow profile.
It’s as I sated just something to take into consideration .
If you want to really notice it , raise the centreboard and you feel like your steering an inflatable mattress.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
+1 to Dave's comment. 20HP is probably way too heavy, if you can afford to repower. Something like a 9-ish HP with a long leg and high thrust prop may make it easier, as the sort bursts of power you would use to get some steerage way will likely "bite" more effectively with that prop. Various companies sell them, marketed with names like "SailPro" or similar.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I have the same boat with a 9.9 4 stroke, power lift and connected to the tiller. She turns on a dime with this setup and the 9.9 has plenty of power to take her up to 5.5 Kts.

Feb 1, 2016
Hunter 25 Moored
+1 Sailavie1's comment. I have a 2006 H25 with a Suzuki 9.9 Sailpro connected with the tiller with the same performance, I love it

This is not my boat, but it is a good example.png