Two Harbors not what it was?

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
We had a successful trip to Two Harbors, Friday through Sunday. We left San Pedro around 8 am and ended up motoring the entire way - did not raise sail. For much of that time, we had the wind right on the nose! Sailing would have taken, likely, all day and into the evening. As it was we made it in about 5 hours, including slowing down a few times so my brother could try to fish some kelp paddies we came across.

The Isthmus Cove harbor was awesome. We were on F10, a large mooring right up against the cliffs. Beautiful spot! The mooring process was easy as I had crew with me (including my brother, a Catalina mooring veteran).

We had a great time! Wish I had one more day. We're planning on returning on the last weekend of the month here - Sept. 30 - Oct. 2 (coming home Monday). Give me a shout if you're possibly going to be there that weekend!

Coming back yesterday, we left late - nearly 9 am - and had some breeze but not enough to sail without motoring. So we motorsailed all the way back, made it back in 4 hours instead of 5! I will post some pics when I get home eventually (at work). Going out our average moving speed was 4.4 knots, vs. 5.4 coming back. I used around 4 gallons of gas, one way (again motoring for the whole time). Not bad mileage, really. Honda 9.9 outboard on our 25' boat.

Regarding the subject of this post, my brother pointed out the new restaurant patio / lounge chairs / cabana area, which he said was previously open beach area for people to enjoy. I concur that the new arrangement is worse than that especially if you don't have the money, or don't want to part with it, for the privilege of sitting there. Seems kind of lame - they could have left some open space. I did locate the area that is still free there, with the tables and BBQs, at least there is that.

Overall, I really enjoyed Two Harbors and will look forward to returning. I would rank it far above Avalon in every sense unless you really must have retail and restaurants on the island. Loved the relative lack of crowds and activity!

P.S. - loved the Buffalo Milk drinks! You must have a sweet tooth to enjoy this drink!

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
We plan on being there Sept 28 - Oct 1. I'm hoping to be in Cherry Cove as close to the cliff as possible on the back row. I'll send you a private message with phone # etc. Hope to see you there.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Spent Friday and Saturday night there this weekend. It was a very nice weekend on the water; but I think the forecast of SCA Sat-Sun due to Santa Ana winds reaching into the San Pedro Channel spooked some folks. So the coves were relatively empty. The winds ended up strong only in Santa Monica Bay and did affect the coves at Two Harbors. I saw no one using the cabana area; but even if a few people did it certainly was not being used much. Folks were grilling Sat night at the "free grills" and picnic tables outside the cabana area, which is now roped off. We anchored off Little Fisherman's Cove in about 30-35 ft with a little more than a hundred feet of chain veered as marked from the water's surface. No hay problema! This is a good anchoring spot; actually the first time we've used it (b/c there was no one using it when we arrived!).

Last edited: