Two Female crew needed for Tacoma to Hawaii run early August

kjmdes

Jul 15, 2021
Yamaha Yamaha 33 Maui
Looking to sail my recently updated Yamaha 33 to Maui early August as soon as a good weather window presents itself. Have forty plus years blue water experience, as well as being a participant of the 1980 singlehanded transpac.
Am looking for a pair of experienced women to crew with me. Would prefer an established relationship with each other, and I have no judgment as to that relationship. As long as they get along well, and, get along with mild mannered men. As in, just me. I defer to experience, and have a rep as a liberal and open-minded gentleman. And as a sixties-something, not in the market for drama, or ill comfort. Just want to make the passage and have a good experience doing it. For everyone.
The boat has been upgraded with all new electronics, and is well laid out for short handed sailing. Hot and cold pressure water, head, and privacy area. But no cold storage. We'll carry about sixty gallons of fresh water, and enough diesel to power about 400 nm.
Should be a fun adventure. Air fair back to the west coast is covered, but no pay involved at this time.
Thanks all
KJM

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
You may want to see if there is a chapter of the organization called "Women Who Sail" in Seattle, and see if you can get the word out to them. There is a chapter in Tampa, and my wife attended meetings for a few months before we started cruising. Some serious experience there.

There are also websites where you can post ads for crew, though I can't think of any names off the top of my head. Google is your friend.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We'll carry about sixty gallons of fresh water
That's good for about 5-6 days max on my boat (assuming 2 people, prepping 3 meals/day with pots/dishes and one 2-gallon per person shower). You might double that if you pre-wash with salt water. And this trip is expected to last how long? Very close living with 3 people in a 33 footer with small space, limited storage, water and food. Probably boring at times, scary at times. Of all the people I know very well I'd only consider that with one or two.

kjmdes

Jul 15, 2021
Yamaha Yamaha 33 Maui
Many good points there. Sorry, water will likely be closer to 85 with the loose containers. Do the calc for intelligent consumption for 30 days, and it's tight, but sustainable. And yes, she has a great sea water system which will be well utilized. She's fast, and large enough for three in comfort. Good systems, and a powerful rig. I expect a 20 day estimate is reasonable.
This time of year warrants three well experienced crew, with two in good physical shape. I'm the weak link in this respect.
So yes, it's a bit odd on the selection criteria, but I work better with female crew. Always have. Actually made a career out it. Not sure about transgender. Don't have the experience working with any that I'm aware of, but if they measure up to the challenge and technical requirements before hand, that's enough.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
You will be fine with 85 gallons of water if you are frugal. People are spoiled nowadays. As noted - use seawater and a quick fresh water rinse for the dishes. Either a bucket or seawater pump at the galley works. We did it with five on a 30-footer (Vic-Maui) and 55 gallons and had plenty after we arrived. Seawater flush head though - but even there if fresh water, just be frugal. If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down. Or grab a bucket of seawater for flush.

For finding crew - you may also want to post her: Pacific Northwest Sailing Group (Seattle, WA)

kjmdes

Jul 15, 2021
Yamaha Yamaha 33 Maui
Thanks to SFS and MFD for the valuable advice.
My 1980 run should have taken around 13 days. But I blew out both spinnakers in 24 hours. After that, 200 plus days were done. 19 days in the end, and I used 21 gal. Which was not as frugal as it should have been.